• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

as

The following in red is confusing.

A towards person will talk about what they want. An away from person will talk about what they don't want. Away from people are suited to jobs where they can find problems, but don't ask them for solutions as they may come up with the most immediately obvious answer.

Does this mean "don't ask them for solutions because they can only think of the most immediately obvious answer, in other words, because they are unlikely to be creative in their response to problems"?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: as

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    The following in red is confusing.

A towards person will talk about what they want. An away from person will talk about what they don't want. Away from people are suited to jobs where they can find problems, but don't ask them for solutions as they may come up with the most immediately obvious answer.

Does this mean "don't ask them for solutions because they can only think of the most immediately obvious answer, in other words, because they are unlikely to be creative in their response to problems"?

Thank you.
    Where did you see/hear the terms "towards" & "away from" as descriptive of people?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • France

Firstly, I do not recognize the terms "towards person" and "an away from person". These are not terms regularly used in English. Would you please tell us where you have seen them?

Secondly, the word "as" (as used in your example) may be replaced with the word because. The sentence "don't ask them for solutions because they may come up with the most immediately obvious answer" seems, to me, sarcastic. But it is not possible to say for certain without more context about "away from persons".

John

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Thank you all.

The terms are from the book <<How to Manage with NLP>> by David Molden. I know it's rather irregular use of the words. Let me provide you with more context.

People are either motivated towards or away from something. 'Towards' people know what they want and create their own motivation to reach their outcomes. 'Away from' people find it difficult to agree outcomes or objectives because they are more focused on what to avoid. A towards person will talk about what they want...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    Thank you all.

The terms are from the book <<How to Manage with NLP>> by David Molden. I know it's rather irregular use of the words. Let me provide you with more context.

People are either motivated towards or away from something. 'Towards' people know what they want and create their own motivation to reach their outcomes. 'Away from' people find it difficult to agree outcomes or objectives because they are more focused on what to avoid. A towards person will talk about what they want...
    Apparently terms applied in that way only by Mr. Molden for descriptive purposes.