English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello,
I've got a question about the use of how: is this sentence grammatically right I dress how I want? It sounds weird to me, I would have chosen like instead, but I'm in doubt.
Thanks a lot for your help, in advance.
Eva

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi Eva, and welcome to Using English.

It sounds okay, though I prefer your version.

I dress ... how ... I want.
I wear my clothing ... in the manner... that pleases me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi Eva, and welcome to Using English.

It sounds okay, though I prefer your version.

I dress ... how ... I want.
I wear my clothing ... in the manner... that pleases me.

As opposed to "wearing clothing in a manner that pleases me", I would understand "I dress how I want" to mean "I wear any clothes I want to regardless of what anyone else thinks". Maybe it's another BrE vs AmE difference.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it's the same -- in a manner that pleases me, regardless of how others feel about it. They may think I look fabulous, or they may think I should "do more with myself" but regardless of their opinion, good or bad, I dress how I want.

Did you get a different interpretation from what I wrote? I didn't mean for there to be one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think it's the same -- in a manner that pleases me, regardless of how others feel about it. They may think I look fabulous, or they may think I should "do more with myself" but regardless of their opinion, good or bad, I dress how I want.

Did you get a different interpretation from what I wrote? I didn't mean for there to be one.

I would find "I dress" different from "I wear my clothing". I'm having trouble explaining why or how, but I'll keep thinking about it!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I dress" is an even better shorthand than I thought. I guess it covers all of "the clothes/style/manner of weaing those clothes."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The best description I can give of the difference I discern is that "I dress" means the clothes that I wear, and "I wear my clothing" would be ways in which specific or non-specific clothing is worn.

I dress casually = I wear casual (not formal) clothing
I wear my clothing casually = No matter what I am wearing, I wear it in a casual way (ie my shirt not tucked in to my trousers, a tie slung over my shoulder).

Status
Not open for further replies.