Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

I'm wondering if the past progressive is possible in the following sentence:

I picked up the phone; it was Joe. He immediately asked me why I was out of breath. I told him I had been looking for my hamster that had escaped from his cage.

I think it is. Am I right?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello,

I'm wondering if the past progressive is possible in the following sentence:

I picked up the phone; it was Joe. He immediately asked me why I was out of breath. I told him I had been looking for my hamster that had escaped from his cage.

I think it is. Am I right?

Thank you.

Yes. That's exactly the right tense for that context.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you, emsr2d2!

But what if he (or she?) had found the hamster just before the phone call, but was still out of breath because of searching for him? Would such a context justify the usage of the past perfect progressive?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If the hamster hadn't been found when he answered the phone, he would say "Yes, I'm out of breath because I'm in the middle of looking for my escaped hamster". In reported speech that would read "He told him he was looking for his escaped hamster."

If the hamster has been found then it would be "I was looking for my escaped hamster." In reported speech, that would be "He told him he had been looking for his escaped hamster."

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
If the hamster has been found then it would be "I was looking for my escaped hamster." "

Emsr2d2, but why not "I've been looking for my escaped hamster"? :-? Isn't his being short of breath the result of what has just been happening?

herbiji

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kurdish
Home Country
Syria
Current Location
Syria
Emsr2d2, but why not "I've been looking for my escaped hamster"? :-? Isn't his being short of breath the result of what has just been happening?
In reported speech the past continuous tense changed to past perfect continuous as in
I was playing basketball _______ He said ( that ) he had been playing basketball.
I was looking for my escaped hamster. _________He said( that) he had been looking for his escaped hamster.

:)

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
In reported speech the past continuous tense changed to past perfect continuous as in
I was playing basketball _______ He said ( that ) he had been playing basketball.
I was looking for my escaped hamster. _________He said( that) he had been looking for his escaped hamster.

:)

Thank you. I'm aware of the changes in the reported speech. I was asking about the DIRECT speech in my post #5.

herbiji

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kurdish
Home Country
Syria
Current Location
Syria
Thank you. I'm aware of the changes in the reported speech. I was asking about the DIRECT speech in my post #5.
In direct speech I think you can use the present perfect continuous since, as you mentioned, it is the result of what has just happened.
let's wait experts :)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
In direct speech you could use the present perfect continuous or the simple past. In my opinion the present perfect continuous would suggest that the looking had been going on for some time.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For direct speech, if the hamster hasn't been found:

1) "I'm looking for my hamster."
2) "I've been looking for my hamster."

For direct speech, if the hamster has been found:

"I was looking for my hamster" or "I've been looking for my hamster for hours but it's OK, I have now found him."

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
In direct speech you could use the present perfect or the simple past. In my opinion the present perfect would suggest that the looking had been going on for some time.

Do you mean it should be "I've looked for my hamster"? :shock:
I must be slow on the uptake today. Friday evening! I remember an example from Murphy's book . "You're out of breath. Have you been running?" How is the process of running different from the process of looking for something, if the result is the same now - being out of breath?

Edit: sorry, I haven't noticed emsr2d2's reply

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Do you mean it should be "I've looked for my hamster"? :shock:
I must be slow on the uptake today. Friday evening! I remember an example from Murphy's book . "You're out of breath. Have you been running?" How is the process of running different from the process of looking for something, if the result is the same now - being out of breath?

Edit: sorry, I haven't noticed emsr2d2's reply
Sorry. I meant continuous.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
For direct speech, if the hamster has been found:

"I was looking for my hamster" or "I've been looking for my hamster for hours but it's OK, I have now found him."

I'm a bit uncomfotable with the past progressive because of the clear connection with the present, as in " The ground is wet. It's been raining", or "My hands are dirty; I've been painting the ceiling". Is the addition of 'for hours" necessary here?

herbiji

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kurdish
Home Country
Syria
Current Location
Syria
I go with Verona-82
Why I'm out of breath( now)? > because I have been looking for my hamster.
An action started in the past and stopped recently and there is a result now.:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.