Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Can anyone please explain the use of "as such" in a sentence? What is the most appropriate context for this phrase? Thanks.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

(1) It means "in the exact sense of the word." (Source: The New Oxford American Dictionary, 2001.)

(2) Such is a pronoun and needs an antecedent (it needs to refer to some noun in the sentence). (Source: A Dictionary of Modern American Usage, 1998. Bryan A. Garner.)

(3) This is a small village. There is no hotel as such. ("Such" refers to "hotel." That is, there is no business that is officially a so-called "hotel." But Mrs. Parser, a widow, will let visitors stay overnight at her home for a small fee.) (I credit The New Oxford American Dictionary for this idea.)

(4) "If this is not genuine champagne, it should not be labeled as such." That is, if it is not real champagne, the label should NOT have the word "champagne."

(This example comes from the online Macmillan dictionary.)

(5) "I am interested in getting a good photograph, not in the castle as such." (That is, I only want to do a good job in photographing the castle, but I am NOT interested in knowing anything about the castle's history, etc.) (This sentence is from the Oxford American Dictionary, 1980.)

(6) Some advice from The Columbia Guide to American English, 1993:

"Formal English often tends (sensibly) to omit it."

That is, when you write formal English (for example, a research paper, etc.) you should probably not use the term " as such."

(7) For further information, please go the search box at this website and type "as such." You will find many helpful threads (discussions).

batmura

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thanks!

Is the following sentence correct?

This article is on the role of feedback on student writing. As such, you should read it carefully.

What exactly is the difference between "as such" and "therefore"?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks!

Is the following sentence correct?

This article is on the role of feedback on student writing. As such, you should read it carefully.

What exactly is the difference between "as such" and "therefore"?

NOT A TEACHER

(1) I shall let a teacher answer you. Then you will receive an accurate answer that you can take to the bank. (We non-teachers are not allowed to post wild guesses.)

(2) I will, however, share something that I found in Mr. Garner's book: (I have shortened it)

"These efforts represent a change in the way responsibility is spread, what practices are rewarded, and how care will be provided. As such, the change will not occur immediately."

Mr. Garner says to delete "As such." He says that the meaning is really "therefore," but I guess that he feels it is not necessary to say "therefore," either.

(3) Mr. Garner says the following "as such" is OK, but he doesn't like because it could be interpreted as "therefore":

"She will become an icon; as such, she will be a role model for years to come."

I guess he approves this sentence because "such" could refer to "icon." Yet, as he points out, some people might think "therefore."

Status
Not open for further replies.