Is 'ever' correctly used in the sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
"The crisis we're facing today is the most critical natural disaster that ever happened in Thai history," Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra told reporters yesterday.

Is 'ever' correctly used in the above sentence? If so, why is it correct although it is an affirmative utterance?

Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"The crisis we're facing today is the most critical natural disaster that ever happened in Thai history," Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra told reporters yesterday.

Is 'ever' correctly used in the above sentence? If so, why is it correct although it is an affirmative utterance?

Thanks.
What would you replace it with?

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
What would you replace it with?

Thanks, Bhaisahab.

I would replace 'ever' with 'has'.

"The crisis we're facing today is the most critical natural disaster that has happened in Thai history," Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra told reporters yesterday.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks, Bhaisahab.

I would replace 'ever' with 'has'.

"The crisis we're facing today is the most critical natural disaster that has happened in Thai history," Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra told reporters yesterday.
I agree with adding 'has', but I'd keep the 'ever'.
The present perfect is indicated, since the disaster is happening now.
'Ever' is not strictly necessary, but it's probably most common in this sort of construction.
He could also have said, "... the most critical natural disaster ever to have happened ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.