• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

already by Cristmas

There're going to be teachers patronizing me why I'd be asking questions if it's presumably incorrect grammar. Why would the speaker use the past simple as in " .....by Cristmas,I'll aready be halfway through the worst of it."? Would it be "I'll have been halfway through..." according to the grammar textbook? Is it one of the informal grammar uses?

" Michael keeps telling me that the first year of grad school is the hardest, so by Christmas, Iíll already be halfway through the worst of it. I donít feel very confident in myself since Iím coming into a field where almost everyone has a psych background (and I have anything but), and Iím hoping that will change as I grow more familiar and time goes on."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: already by Cristmas

.....by Cristmas,I'll aready be halfway through the worst of it."? is not incorrect. The speaker is saying, "I will be (at Christmas)..."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by J&K Tutoring View Post
    .....by Cristmas,I'll aready be halfway through the worst of it."? is not incorrect. The speaker is saying, "I will be (at Christmas)..."
    What would be the difference between the following to?

1) "......... by Christmas I'll aready be halfway through......"

2)"...........by Christmas I'll have been halfway through......"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

I don't like either one, actually. #1 is better than #2 (and not uncommon), but both seem to say that the speaker was halfway through at some point before Christmas, and neither indicates when he actually reached that halfway point.

Better to say, "By Christmas I'll be halfway through..."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

Sorry- on reflection I see that I didn't really address your question about the difference between your two examples.

As written, there's no difference between the two. #2 would be significantly different if the writing went on to include some time reference: "by Christmas I'll have been halfway through for 4 weeks"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by J&K Tutoring View Post
    I don't like either one, actually. #1 is better than #2 (and not uncommon), but both seem to say that the speaker was halfway through at some point before Christmas, and neither indicates when he actually reached that halfway point.

Better to say, "By Christmas I'll be halfway through..."
    So I could use it in conversation as a substitute for the future perfect as in "I'll already be 15 and a half by summer and I want to work there in the summer."?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

The be/been has different meanings in the two examples.

• By Christmas I'll already be [at my parents' house].' ['be' in the sense of 'hold a position']
    • [By next Easter I'll have finished compiling the photograph album, but] by Christmas I'll have [only] been [through all the photographs once'] ['been' in the sense of 'have made some kind of progress']

b
    Last edited by BobK; 30-Oct-2011 at 11:41. Reason: Tweak format

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

So I could use it in conversation as a substitute for the future perfect as in "I'll already be 15 and a half by summer and I want to work there in the summer."?

Yes, though I'd rather not hear the word summer used twice in the same sentence.

'I want to work there next summer, and I'll already be 15 and a half by then.'