Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
UK
Hi,

I'm considering teaching english in S. Korea or Taiwan next year. I meet all of the general requirements i.e. degree, Celta qualified, tefl experience, etc. The only problem i can see is that i have a Spanish passport, despite the fact that i have been raised/educated in England from the age of 3. Does this mean teaching in S.Korea/Taiwan is out of the question? (i know some job adverts ask that applicants hold a uk/ireland/us/welsh passport),

Thank you in advance

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is a language forum, not a legal one. Your question is not one that can be answered definintively by strangers on the Internet; you need to seek very specific legal advice by someone familiar with all the various factors involved. Best of luck to you.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,

I'm considering teaching English in S. Korea or Taiwan next year. I meet all of the general requirements i.e. degree, Celta qualified, tefl experience, etc. The only problem I can see is that I have a Spanish passport, despite the fact that I have been raised/educated in England from the age of 3. Does this mean teaching in S.Korea/Taiwan is out of the question? (I know some job adverts ask that applicants hold a UK/Ireland/US/Welsh passport),

Thank you in advance
Please use capitals in the appropriate places. There is no such thing as a Welsh passport. You should apply to the countries you wish to work in and find out what their legal requirements are.

cznsteve

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Taiwan
Unlike the other people who replied to you, I'm willing to help you and not try and make you feel like a little kid who did something wrong and asked the wrong question. This is an excerpt from Taiwan's Labor Laws taken from tealit dot com which by the way is a great resource for teachers in Taiwan.

Current employment qualifications for foreign teachers:

According to the regulation No.0950501673 revised by the CLA on 5/2/2006, Article 42 of “The Reviewing Standards and Employment Qualifications for Foreigners Engaging in the Jobs Specified in Items 1 to 6, Paragraph 1 to Article 46 of the Employment Service Act”, foreign workers who hired as foreign language teachers based on the “Item 4, Paragraph 1 to Article 46 Employment Service Act” should have the qualifications bellow:

20 year old and above.
Graduated from college or above.
The language of the course you teach should be the same as the official language on you passport. Some countries have one and above official languages like Europe.
Those without a bachelor’s degree should have certified language teacher training certificates.

Notice it says you should have English written in your passport if that's what you want to teach. Fortunately for you it's not mandatory as I know many teachers that do not speak English as their native language. If you come here (Taiwan) you will do a demo for the school. You open your mouth, they hear British English, and you should have no problem getting a job.

You can also look on forumosa dot com as they have loads of info on living and working in Taiwan and maybe more people willing to help. BTW, I know many people who have lived and taught in both Korea and Taiwan, and they all prefer living in Taiwan. Good luck!

liybaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much cznsteve. I really appreciate your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.