Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 294
    #1

    A question is causing arguments.

    Dear teachers!
    I have another question.
    - He Went Out ____ .
    A.smoked
    B.for smoking
    C.smoking
    D.to smoke
    Some people chose D. Some others chose C&D. Others chose B&C&D.
    So which is correct,please?
    Best regards!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,820
    #2

    Re: A question is causing arguments.

    D- this means that the person went outside in order to smoke.
    C- this means that the person was smoking while leaving- they had started smoking before they left. It's a possible sentence, but not natural.
    B-

    I imagine the answer the test is looking for is D.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 294
    #3

    Re: A question is causing arguments.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    D- this means that the person went outside in order to smoke.
    C- this means that the person was smoking while leaving- they had started smoking before they left. It's a possible sentence, but not natural.
    B-

    I imagine the answer the test is looking for is D.
    Dear Mr/Ms.Tdol!
    Thank you very much.
    But I think
    - He went out to smoke = He went out for a smoke = He went out for smoking (smoking is a noun, not a gerund)

    Is what I think correct?
    Best regards!
    Last edited by hoangkha; 31-Oct-2011 at 08:58.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,590
    #4

    Re: A question is causing arguments.

    Quote Originally Posted by hoangkha View Post
    Dear Mr/Ms.Tdol!
    Thank you very much.
    But I think
    - He went out to smoke = He went out for a smoke = He went out for smoking (smoking is a noun, not a gerund)

    Is what I think correct?
    Best regards!
    A gerund is a verbal noun. What you are suggesting is nonsense, "He went out for smoking" is an incorrect sentence".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 294
    #5

    Re: A question is causing arguments.

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    A gerund is a verbal noun. What you are suggesting is nonsense, "He went out for smoking" is an incorrect sentence".
    Dear Ms.bhaisahab!
    Thanks for your feedback!

    - He went out for smoking (smoking is a noun, not a gerund)
    According to OALD

    smoking (n)[uncountable]
    the activity or habit of smoking cigarettes, etc
    No Smoking (= for example, on a notice)
    Would you like smoking or non-smoking? (= for example, in a restaurant)
    Smoking is not allowed in this theatre.
    He's trying to give up smoking.

    Best regards!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,820
    #6

    Re: A question is causing arguments.

    He went out to smoke.
    He went out for a cigarette/smoke.
    He went out for smoking.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 294
    #7

    Re: A question is causing arguments.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    He went out to smoke.
    He went out for a cigarette/smoke.
    He went out for smoking.
    Dear Mr/Ms.Tdol!
    Thank you.
    I think maybe the third isn't often used but it is grammatically correct. (For + Noun to show purpose)
    Best regards!

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #8

    Re: A question is causing arguments.

    Quote Originally Posted by hoangkha View Post
    Dear Mr/Ms.Tdol!
    Thank you.
    I think maybe the third isn't often used but it is grammatically correct. (For + Noun to show purpose)
    Best regards!
    That's true. They could all be grammatical.
    A. "A fish came into the factory fresh. He went out smoked."
    But that's not the expected answer.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 294
    #9

    Re: A question is causing arguments.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    That's true. They could all be grammatical.
    A. "A fish came into the factory fresh. He went out smoked."
    But that's not the expected answer.
    Dear Mr.Raymott!
    Thanks your feedback.
    Best regards!

    Take a look at the test again.
    - He Went Out ____ .
    A.smoked
    B.for smoking
    C.smoking
    D.to smoke
    There are three correct answers,except A, to this test so it is definitely a bad one.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,590
    #10

    Re: A question is causing arguments.

    Quote Originally Posted by hoangkha View Post
    Dear Mr.Raymott!
    Thanks your feedback.
    Best regards!

    Take a look at the test again.
    - He Went Out ____ .
    A.smoked
    B.for smoking
    C.smoking
    D.to smoke
    There are three correct answers,except A, to this test so it is definitely a bad one.
    The only correct answer in English as it is used by native speakers is D. "to smoke".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. causing severe injuries to two of the hikers
    By sunsunmoon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Jul-2011, 13:07
  2. [General] Arguments over arguement.
    By Brisbob in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-Jul-2011, 09:27
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Sep-2009, 02:36
  4. arguments
    By GUEST2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Mar-2009, 18:50
  5. What are the arguments ????
    By Anonymous in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 18-Apr-2006, 03:24

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •