WHat is the difference between the following sentences: 1) I saw him talking to the p

Status
Not open for further replies.

pussycat0121a

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
WHat is the difference between the following sentences: 1) I saw him talking to the policeman. 2) I saw him talk to the policeman .

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
WHat is the difference between the following sentences: 1) I saw him talking to the policeman. 2) I saw him talk to the policeman .
There is no practical difference in meaning.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

NOT A TEACHER

(1) May I just add a note to the moderator's excellent answer?

(2) Some (repeat: some) speakers might see a difference:

(a) I saw him talking to the cop. = I saw a part of their conversation. Maybe I saw the beginning, maybe the middle, or maybe the end. In any case, I did not see the whole conversation.

(b) I saw him talk to the cop. = I saw the whole conversation.

(c) For example, let's say that the man claims that the cop beat him. And let's say that you are a witness in court. If you saw him talk to the cop, then you will know whether it it is true or false that the police officer beat him (because you saw the whole conversation); if you saw him talking to the police officer, then you saw only a part of their conversation and maybe you were not looking when the police officer had hit the man.

(3) Many teachers give this example for their students to study:

I saw Mona cross the street. = I saw the whole action.

I saw Mona crossing the street. = I saw only a part of her crossing. (Maybe I saw her start; maybe I saw her in the middle of the street; maybe I saw her finish. In any case, I definitely did not see all of the action.)

P.S. Please remember that I AM NOT A TEACHER. If my answer is different from a teacher's answer, the teacher's answer is the correct one.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I agree with TheParser on this one.

I think it's also possible that "I saw him talk to the policeman" could be used by a speaker to suggest that they saw the person concerned initiate a conversation with the policeman.

Status
Not open for further replies.