• Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

the right word

Good evening!
    I think that teach somethings about culture is important as well teach grammar is.
    (sorry if this sentence is wrong)
    And thinking it, I want to know how is the better term for to say something about african american people? Example, if I describe how a man or a lady is I should say:
    He/she is black, negro or something different
    I know that some people use too another word, "neggas", I think it's a slang, but I'm not sure if it is formal, informal or if it is not a good word. Please, help me with it!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: the right word

"African American" is the correct term to use. The others are either outdated or downright offensive.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by EducadorZero View Post
    Good evening!

I think that teaching some things about culture is important as well as teaching grammar is(sorry if this sentence is wrong).

And thinking it, I want to know how what is the better most appropriate term for to say something to use when talking about African American people is?

For example, if I describe how a man or a lady is a man's or a woman's race, I should should I say:

He/she is black, negro or something different?

I know that some people use too another word, "neggas", I think it's a slang, but I'm not sure if it is formal, informal or if it is not a good word. Please, help me with it!
    It's a very difficult issue. You will find that many people are offended by one term but not by another, and vice versa. Some people don't care at all, others care a lot. The phrase you used may be the safest (African American) but of course only when talking about someone whose nationality (passport) is American. You can't use that for any other nationality whose ethnic origin is African.

I have never heard "neggas" but it sounds far too close to another word starting with "n" which we simply don't use on this forum. I imagine it's slang and I think it's probably not good.

In the UK, it's acceptable to describe someone as "black", usually if they are of African or Caribbean descent.

The problem really is that you don't know how the person concerned might describe themselves so you always have to be careful.

I mean no offence but your profile says you are an English teacher. However, if you look at the number of corrections I have had to make to your post, you will understand why I am a little concerned by that.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Ok emsr2d2, thanks for your tips, I'll think in it. About my profile, well you're right. I made mistakes. When I said that I'm English Teacher is truth, but it's not mean that I don't have any problem with the Language. Otherwise it's the real reason that I'm here in this forum, I want to learn more and more, I want to practice my English in real situatiions, talk to different people, like you,
    I'm in my first year as a teacher, and I have worked with just children in preschool, but I want to grow up and I keep to study. Don't worry, you didn't offended me, actually these corrections has helped me.
    Bye, have a good new year!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

[QUOTE=EducadorZero;837978]

Don't worry, you didn't offended me, actually these corrections has helped me.

NOT A TEACHER

(1) May I most respectfully point out something super important for your students

to know?

(a) After auxiliary verbs (such as do, does, did), you always use the so-called

base form of the verb (the word that you look for when you use a dictionary).

Therefore, you should have written: You didn't offend me.

(b) This is one of the biggest mistakes made by learners. They see the

word "didn't" and their minds tell them that "did" is past. So they think that

the past tense follows. But that is not true. So:

I do not GO.

She does not GO.

It did not GO.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I have never heard "neggas" but it sounds far too close to another word starting with "n" which we simply don't use on this forum.
    I think this might be the word EcuadorZero had in mind.

EcuadorZero, the word is "nigger" and it's a very offensive word. I'm using this word here because I think it's important for you to know what is what. As you can see, it is so offensive that emsr2d2 didn't want to write it. It is commonly referred to as "the N-word" because of its hatefulness. However, don't be surprised if you encounter black people using this word. I don't know about other countries, but I do know that some Afro-Americans use it without the hateful connotations. You should remember that this fact doesn't make the word acceptable. In fact, I would recommend that you never use it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Good observations, friend. Actually I know this important grammar rule, but unfortunately I wrote so fast and made this mistake. However I liked these examples that you put

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Thank you so much, birdeen's call. Finally a complete answer, it's all that I needed.
    Other answers were very important, but you gave me some thing more, ok.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Galician
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Antilles

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post

The problem really is that you don't know how the person concerned might describe themselves so you always have to be careful.
    I heard that Herman Cain doesn't want to be called "African American"
    but rather wants to be called "Black American".

I guess he's got something against Africa.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I haven't heard that, but I think you are making the wrong inference. I suspect he wants the emphasis on American. Many African Americans have had their family in the United States for far more generations than those of us who simply say "American" without saying "Polish American" or "German American." The important difference is that our parents, grand-parents or great-grandparents made the chocie to come here, while the anscestors of these African Americans did not have a choice.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast