Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I am reading a book called "the book that made your world". When I read the Forward, the first sentence struck me as something odd. It reads, "In polite society, the mere mention of the Bible often introduces a certain measure of anxiety. "

"In polite society" seems to be the problem for me.

I thought it should be "In a polite society", as the word "society" is countable.

My question:

1, is "in polite society" correct, or it means something different?
2, is "in a polite society" better? or is it the correct form?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It is correct without the article- it is used as a term to mean the section of society where manners and politeness are taken seriously.

peng huang

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks very much for your help.

So, it does mean something different.

My understanding is that you have to have something put in front of a countable noun in English to make it sound right.

For example:

You have to say, "I am reading a book."; or, "I am reading the book."; or "I am reading his book."; or, "I am reading an interesting book."

or, you may use plural form, without the article, "I read books."; or, "I love books."

But you may not say, "I am reading book."

However, as you have pointed out, when you try to express something that is part of a whole, a different rule applies.

For instance, we can say, "As for children's book, the price is often lower than adult book."

It is right?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No. 'Book' is always used countably. 'Society' happens to be a word that can be used, with different meanings, countably and uncountably.

Last edited:

albertino

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I am reading a book called "the book that made your world". When I read the Forward, the first sentence struck me as something odd. It reads, "In polite society, the mere mention of the Bible often introduces a certain measure of anxiety. "

"In polite society" seems to be the problem for me.

I thought it should be "In a polite society", as the word "society" is countable.

My question:

1, is "in polite society" correct, or it means something different?
2, is "in a polite society" better? or is it the correct form?
(Not a teacher)
I don't think "society" used in the sentence is countable. (Please check the dictionary, "society" can also be used as uncountable.)
Athough "society" has an adjective in front, which is descriptive and not definite, it does not affect its generic sense. So a zero article should be used.

peng huang

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Status
Not open for further replies.