Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
How to understand the Americans time "8/7c" ?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If it's any consolation, this speaker of BrE has no idea. Could you give more context? Where did you see it?

ps.
1. Your question would have been better expressed as, "What does the American time expression "8/7c" mean?"
2. Please try to give your threads titles that give us some idea of what to expect when we read your question. "Meaning of '8/7c.?" would have been perfect for this.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is how the time for a TV program is given on American TV. The continental US has 4 time zones, and 2 television feeds for most networks. This would be an "east coast" feed and a "west coast" feed.

People in the Eastern time zone and the Central time zone watch the east coast feed. So a program would be on at 8 o'clock Eastern (which is 7 Central time). So 8/7Central. Or "8/7c" for short.

People in the Pacific time zone watch the west coast feed, which is delayed by 3 hours. So they also watch the program at 8 o'clock. (Though it is 8 Pacific, 11 Eastern)

(I have no idea what people in the Mountain time zone do, but apparently they deserve no special mention.)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks for that, Dave. That has filled a gap in my knowledge that I didn't even know I had.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you have a satellite dish (as opposed to cable TV), you usually get both feeds. So I can watch a show now, or 3 hours later. People in the West can watch a show now or 3 hours before it comes on!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Aha! So time travel isn't just a thing of fantasy!

Status
Not open for further replies.