Interested in Language
Native Language
Estonian
Home Country
Estonia
Current Location
Estonia
Hi

What is the latest good practice in spelling ordinals: should they be written with superscript or not?

Thanks a lot in advance

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you mean writing the figure followed by st, nd or rd, then the choice is yours, though some publishers may insist on one form.

Last edited:

marenparn

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Estonian
Home Country
Estonia
Current Location
Estonia
Yes, I meant superscripting st, nd, rd, th. I've googled a bit and it looks like that good parctice suggests not to superscript them.

waflob

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Germany
Personally, I prefer to superscript them. However, it does depend on the form of communication used. If I'm writing a quick email, I usually can't be bothered to go to the trouble of doing it.

As with so many things like this, the important thing is that you stick to one or the other.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, I meant superscripting st, nd, rd, th. I've googled a bit and it looks like that good parctice suggests not to superscript them.
No. Neither practice is 'better' than the other.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you mean writing the figure followed by st, nd or rd, then the choice is yours, though some publishers may insist on one form.
:up: - as do some word processing packages (though 'insist' may be putting it too strongly - if you type '1st' in Microsoft Word you get superscipts by default, though I imagine if you felt strongly about it you could change the default.)

b

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I always preferred ordinal numbers to be written using superscript, but most of the major style guides today (Associated Press, Chicago Manual of Style) specify that the "th" or "nd" (etc) be typed in regular script.

Status
Not open for further replies.