Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Having somewhat limited international experience, I am seeking some input/advice on some cool locations to work. Does anyone have any recommendations on locations that they liked? The world may be small, but at this point i feel like I am playing "pin the tail on the donkey."

{For those of you that don't kow the game, you blindfold someone, spin them in a circle, and then have them try to pin a tail (usuallypaper or fabric using velcro or tape) on a picture of a donkey (which could be anything from an actual picture to a drawing on a board). Thought it was worth explaining because it would probably be a fun game to play with students. Put them in teams of three and have two try to direct their blindfolded team member to the right spot using directions in english}

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's a hard question to answer- I have lived in a few countries, and very different ones. Many teachers will have had similar experiences, but few will have lived in enough to have a sufficiently wide experience to answer confidently. Could you give us a few pointers about what sort of things you'd like from a country? (Climate, standard of living, interests, etc)

chasinglory

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am kinda torn and could go one of two ways:

(1) The ultimate cultural experience... put me in a location where I get the total emersion experience. May it be in some little village in China or or tiny town in Italy, just a place where I don't see a McDonalds or a KFC.

(2) The second is the social experiece.... put me in a location where there are a lot of expats that have a social network.

Weather and region aren't particularly important to me at this point. I am just looking for an adventure.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You have made it difficult to answer, because you seem to have little idea of what you really want. Here is my very superficial response. If you want more details, PM me.

China (in a village of 1.4 million people): Country - fantastic. People - wonderful. Expats - 0. Food - out of this world. I seemed to eat far too much of the splendid food, and managed to lose weight. Teaching experience - never again.

Czech Republic. I am biased. I left three times, and came back three times. I love both living and working here.

Estonia (Tallinn): Country - interesting, but very cold and dark in the long winter . People - pleasant, but demanding. Expats - far too many. Teaching experience - very satisfying - if you enjoy being stretched.

Germany (Munich, Regensburg, Stuttgart). Not excitingly different from many other places in Europe. Country - interesting . People - pleasant, but demanding. Expats - far too many. Teaching experience - very satisfying - if you enjoy being stretched.

Lebanon (Beirut). Not for me.
Oman (In a small town four hours from the capital): Country - fantastic, but quite warm. People - wonderful. Expats - probably stopped us really experiencing Omani life. Teaching experience - never again.

Turkey (Ankara): Country - fantastic. People - wonderful. Expats - Far too many. Teaching experience - never again.

chasinglory

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
THANK YOU! This kind of information is EXACTLY what I am looking for.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The total immersion in a remote place can be very difficult- if you are by nature a solitary person and adaptable, it can be great, but many find it a lonely experience. If you're thinking about that, then why not start in a city somewhere and then make the move? You may see a few MacDonalds, but you don't have to go in, and large cities can be very different, but also offer the chance, when you've had your fill of barbecued snake, raw chicken liver and grilled fish eyes, to enjoy something closer to home, and living in a remote area may involve living for a year without things like bread or much company.

I have lived in Portugal, Cambodia, Japan and moved recently to the Philippines. The only one that didn't have MacDonalds was Cambodia, though it did have two (I think) KFCs, but all offered things that were very different and interesting culturally.

I wouldn't factor climate out- I love living in the tropics, but many can't take it, and I would struggle with cold dark winters. Cultural adventures can be found anywhere- just head to any place that is different, so I would narrow things down a bit first.

Status
Not open for further replies.