Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What is "acme shares" in the following? Blue chip stocks?

banking - merchant banking - share dealing - acme shares - my acme shares

Thank you.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Do you have more context? Where did you see this? What did it come from?

John

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Acme can mean the highest point, so they would be the best shares, though not necessarily by an official objective measure.

unpakwon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Do you have more context? Where did you see this? What did it come from?

John

My quote is a part of a figure. Let me provide you with some more related context.

Some people prefer to speak globally, while others like to be specific. Flexible communication requires the ability to chunk up, down or laterally depending upon the situation. .... Effective politicians are experts at this. If you were to ask a ploitician a relatively small-chunk question like "what are you going to do about income tax?", a skilled politician will chunk upward, i.e. "income tax is but one element in the fight to keep inflation under control which we have said will remain at the top of our agenda."

This response chunked up from income tax to inflation. A lateral move remains at the same chunk size. Figure 7.2 demonstrates all three moves---up, down and lateral---with the question that triggers the move in each direction.

Figure 7.2 Stepping up, down and laterally

upward (general)
commerce - exchange - communication - ideas

lateral
banking - food retail - insurance - motor trade

downward (specific)
banking - merchant banking - share dealing - acme shares - my acme shares

Is there any possibility "acme shares" refer to the shares of the company, Acme Ltd?

And I'm a little confused about the meanings of "commerce" and "exchange" in red in the above context.
Does "commerce" here mean "social relations, especially the exchange of views, attitudes, etc" or "an interchange of goods and commodities"?
And does "exchange" here mean "an argument or quarrel" or "the act or process of exchanging something like goods"? It seems to me when they mean the formers, it will be more logical in the context where the items chunk upward.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't answer your second question.

In the US, "Acme" is sometimes used a generic name for a company. In a famous cartoon, the coyote is always buying things from Acme to try to capture/kill the roadroader.

Just like we use the word "widgets" to mean "a product of any sort," we sometimes use "Acme" to mean "a company of any sort."

unpakwon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I see.

Many thanks.

By the way, would you please answer the first question, too?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Share of stock in "Acme" company -- where Acme stands in almost as a pronoun for any specific company.

Status
Not open for further replies.