Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
1) Can the adjective filthy be used both for people and for things?

Es. She is a filthy girl. (I want to mean she is a downtown girl, a vulgar girl, she often says swear words and sleep around)
Es. Why don't use a filthy language? Because I do not like it at all. (I want to mean a vulgar language).
Es. I think that sweater is too filthy...Practically you're going out like you were naked! (Is this sentence possible and clear enough?)

I think in these sentences filthy means to be vulgar, but may it also mean that something, maybe a surface or a floor or a street is dirty? Is there an actual difference between filthy and dirty?

2) Can the adjective lowbrow be used both for people and for things?

Es. She always looks down on people she thinks being lowbrow. (I want to mean people that do not have an education, maybe countrymen or someone similar)
Es. Did you enjoy the book? No, I didn't. It's a lowbrow book (Does it mean the style of the book is too simple and the book itself is written badly?)
Es. She's acting like a lowbrow person. (I want to mean she's not having a good behaviour)

3) Can the adjective earthy be used both for people and for things?
Is it a synonym of lowbrow? How do you use this adjective?

Thanks so much for you help teachers! ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1) Can the adjective filthy be used both for people and for things?

Ex. She is a filthy girl. (I want to mean she is a downtown girl, a vulgar girl, she often says swear words and sleep around)
Yes, I think this works, especially as far as sleeping around is concerned. She could also engage in rather depraved (dirty) sex.

Ex. Why don't you use [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] filthy language? Because I do not like it at all. (I want to mean a vulgar language).
That's good use of "filthy" but you missed out the word "you" and you don't need the indefinite article. "Filthy language" is a general term. "A filthy language" would mean an actual language spoken by people in a specific country!

Ex. I think that sweater is too filthy...Practically you're going out like you were naked! (Is this sentence possible and clear enough?)
I don't think this is clear. If you said that my sweater was filthy I would think you meant that it was actually physically dirty and needed to be washed. We don't really use "filthy" with regard to clothing being too skimpy.

I think in these sentences filthy means to be vulgar, but may it also mean that something, maybe a surface or a floor or a street is dirty? Is there an actual difference between filthy and dirty?

Thanks so much for you help teachers! ;-)

I'm a little short of time so I have only dealt with your "filthy" questions. I'm sure someone else will deal with the rest very soon.

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
What about the others, teachers?;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Es. She's acting like a lowbrow person. (I want to mean she's not having a good behaviour)

Not to me- a lowbrow person is not interested in high arts and culture- they could behave well, but you would never meet them at the opera.

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Not to me- a lowbrow person is not interested in high arts and culture- they could behave well, but you would never meet them at the opera.

so, if a persona is lowbrow it would mean he/she has not a high level of education?
What about "lowbrow" in the other examples I've made?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
so, if a person is lowbrow it would mean he/she has not a high level of education?
Not necessarily. Some very highly educated people have lowbrow tastes - reality tv and burgers in preference to ballet and filet mignon.

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Not necessarily. Some very highly educated people have lowbrow tastes - reality tv and burgers in preference to ballet and filet mignon.

I got it. So you think the sentences with "lowbrow" sound all good?
And what about "earthly"?;-)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Earthly" would just mean "of the earth."

"Earthy" has several meanings:

Earthy | Define Earthy at Dictionary.com

It can mean someone who is unrefined, "lowbrow." But I think it is more commonly used as a compliment, meaning someone is practical and unaffected (definitions 3 and 5).

Status
Not open for further replies.