Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

I'd like to make sure if I understand the combination "a piece of fruit" correctly. It can mean either one single apple, orange, banana etc or a slice of an apple, banana etc, can't it?

When I see/hear 'a fruit', I should expect the writer/speaker talk about a kind of fruit, shouldn't I? However, I can't think of any example, let alone a good one. How common is 'a fruit'?

Thank you.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

I'd like to make sure if I understand the combination "a piece of fruit" correctly. It can mean either one single apple, orange, banana etc or a slice of an apple, banana etc, can't it?

When I see/hear 'a fruit', I should expect the writer/speaker talk about a kind of fruit, shouldn't I? However, I can't think of any example, let alone a good one. How common is 'a fruit'?

Thank you.
An orange is a fruit.
A carrot is a vegetable.
A cat is an animal.
Does that help?

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
It does. So simple. But "an orange is a kind of fruit' looks safer :)

old gobbo

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
France
I would normally take "a piece of fruit" to be a slice or section or part of a fruit, not to be a whole fruit. So in "he gave them each a piece of fruit", I would expect some to receive a quarter or a half or a slice of apple, some to receive one or more liths/segments of orange, some half a pear, some a slice of watermelon, ....

However I accept that it is possible to use the phrase loosely, and they could have been given an apple, an orange, a pear ... but they would be unlikely, let's face it, to get a whole watermelon. But if he was giving whole fruit, the sentence would probably be "he gave them each a fruit", and 'a piece of' would not appear. Hope this helps.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For me, "a piece of fruit" means a whole apple, a whole banana, etc.

There is a fruit bowl on the buffet line. Everyone can take a sandwhich, some chips, a piece of fruit, and a cookie. -- That does not mean "one slice of apple." It means a whole apple.

If you asked me what I had to eat so far today, I would not say "a fruit." I'd say "All I've had is a piece of fruit -- I'm certainly ready for dinner!"

This could be an American difference.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In AusE, a piece of fruit is, as Barb says, a whole fruit. We wouldn't say, "Come and have a fruit."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In AusE, a piece of fruit is, as Barb says, a whole fruit. We wouldn't say, "Come and have a fruit."

I haven't heard that used in the UK- I think most people would use some fruit there in BrE. A piece of fruit is more likely to be a slice/part to me too.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hello,

Thank you.

You are quite right. 'A fruit' is a kind, not a piece, of fruit.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Unlike Tdol, I have heard it and use it in BrE.

For his school packed lunch, my cousin has two sandwiches, a packet of crisps and a piece of fruit.

There are twelve pieces of fruit in the fruit bowl. When I get home, I only want to find six.

I would use "piece" for a whole fruit when I'm not specifying which type of fruit. When I mean a section of a piece of fruit, I would use the relevant term:

Can I have a slice of apple?
Can I have a couple of segments of your tangerine?
Can I have half a kiwi fruit?
Could you cut my banana into slices please?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Unlike Tdol, I have heard it and use it in BrE.

I meant that I hadn't heard Come and have a fruit.

A piece of fruit could mean the whole thing and in the packed lunch context, it makes sense, but generally I would use it for part.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you so much for the replies! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.