Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 449
    #1

    Question Meaning of: forget what had the light And then was out of sight

    Hello,

    Could you please make the sentence in red more clearer.

    This is an extract of a poem and the source text is in Arabic.

    Take the pearls of life
    And forget what had the light
    And then was out of sight


    Thank you


  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,623
    #2

    Re: Meaning of: forget what had the light And then was out of sight

    Quote Originally Posted by symaa View Post
    Hello,

    Could you please make the sentence in red more clearer.

    This is an extract of a poem and the source text is in Arabic.

    Take the pearls of life
    And forget what had the light
    And then was out of sight


    Thank you

    "Forget what used to be luminous and then disappeared from sight."
    Is that any clearer?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 449
    #3

    Re: Meaning of: forget what had the light And then was out of sight

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "Forget what used to be luminous and then disappeared from sight."
    Is that any clearer?
    Thank you so much teacher for the clarification, the meaning is clear now.

    But the use of the verb to have in ''Had the light'' does not make any sense to me.

    All the best,

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,623
    #4

    Re: Meaning of: forget what had the light And then was out of sight

    Quote Originally Posted by symaa View Post
    Thank you so much teacher for the clarification, the meaning is clear now.

    But the use of the verb to have in ''Had the light'' does not make any sense to me.

    All the best,
    "what had the light" = "what used to have the light", so the thing that had the light, used to have the light, or did have the light before but doesn't have it any longer.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 449
    #5

    Re: Meaning of: forget what had the light And then was out of sight

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "what had the light" = "what used to have the light", so the thing that had the light, used to have the light, or did have the light before but doesn't have it any longer.
    Many thanks to you teacher for your continual help.
    It becomes more clear.
    Thank you again.
    Best wishes,

Similar Threads

  1. Turn light vs turning light
    By Akira in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-Mar-2010, 08:11
  2. were still in sight of
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Nov-2009, 22:26
  3. lesser light vs lowliest light
    By beeja in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-Aug-2008, 15:17
  4. Light socket= Light switch?
    By sambistapt in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16-May-2008, 14:46

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •