Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
What is the meaning of the expression in bold? Could it be used allegorically? Thanks!

"The ship almost sank in a Cyprus port when a mysterious explosion blew a hole in the bow, seriously damaging it."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What is the meaning of the expression in bold? Could it be used allegorically? Thanks!

"The ship almost sank in a Cyprus port when a mysterious explosion blew a hole in the bow, seriously damaging it."
It depends. Was the explosion allegorical? (Do you mean metaphorical?)
I think it far more likely that the sentence is referring to a real explosion that caused a real hole with real damage. Is there any context that would suggest that the sentence is not meant literally?

motico

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
It depends. Was the explosion allegorical? (Do you mean metaphorical?)
I think it far more likely that the sentence is referring to a real explosion that caused a real hole with real damage. Is there any context that would suggest that the sentence is not meant literally?

I have no problem to understand the expression in this context. My question is if the expression has a metaphorical meaning as well. One of the dictionaries suggests:

blow a hole in[v. show that someone is not true, show that a person is not right

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I have no problem to understand the expression in this context. My question is if the expression has a metaphorical meaning as well. One of the dictionaries suggests:

blow a hole in[v. show that someone is not true, show that a person is not right
I see. Yes, you can "blow a hole" in my argument, by coming up with a demonstrable and devastating proof against the position I take.
But you have 'bow' bolded too in the original. I haven't heard of someone blowing a hole in the bow of something abstract.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If there is a reference to the bow of ship, to an explosion that created a hole in that bow, to serious damage, and to almost sinking, I don't see anything metaphorical.

Do you know that the "bow" is the front of a ship?

motico

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
If there is a reference to the bow of ship, to an explosion that created a hole in that bow, to serious damage, and to almost sinking, I don't see anything metaphorical.

Do you know that the "bow" is the front of a ship?
I know. I just wanted, by the way, to understand the metaphorical meaning of the expression: "to blow a hole" . Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.