Anything wrong with my note for UPS deliveryman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jahildebrandt

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks a lot. Then I've got a follow-up question along your line: Are elmentary school, middle school and high school independent of each other? May it be that a junior high and a senior high are two administrative parts of one school and there is only one head teacher /principal for them?

I used to work in such a school for three years before I started my MA studies back in China. Now the junior high part of that school is an independent school at a new location and the senior high now does not share the campus with it.
In China, when we say "the middle school"(not in the American sense), we mean a school for students who have graduated from elementary school and haven't been admitted into higher education institutions.So, in Chinese school system, this "middle" means "between elementary school and college/university" and "the middle school" in Chinese is a too vague or general term which is usually made speccific by saying that a stuent is attending a junior high or senior high. You will see that there is a huge difference between "the middle school" in China and a middle school in America.

Please give an answer to my questions at the beginning of this same post. Thanks.
Many elementary, middle, and high schools work mostly independently of each other, though there are some that do work together. I went to a Middle/High School where the two were combined but the students were segregated to different areas of the building. The schedules were also set up in a way where it was uncommon for middle schoolers and high schoolers to interact. We had the same administrators though, kind of how you described.

Generally all schools in an area are run by a school district. The school district gives general guidelines of how things should be done and the schools implement them individually. There can be multiple schools of the same type in one district, but they're typically spread apart geographically.

Here is a hypothetical situation of how a district can look. Each school has a different administration.

School District
. . . ./. \ . . . . . . . . . . . .
H.S. 1 . H.S. 2
. .| . . . /. . |. . . \ . . . . . .
M.S. 1.. M.S 2.. M.S. 3
. .| . . . . . .| . . ./ . . . . . .
E.S. 1 . E.S. 2

High School 1 typically will only receive students from Middle School 1, which typically receives students from Elementary School 1. They have more of an opportunity to work together since their students will have the same educational backgrounds. Their curriculum is likely to be very focused and their administrators more likely to be in synchronization.

High School 2 receives students from every middle school. It would be harder for High School 2 to work with all three middle schools individually. High School 2 would likely have a more general education style than High School 1 to accommodate the diversity.

I hope that helps!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please tell me about the British education system. About four years ago when I chatted with a British college girl student about your education system, she gave me too much information and threw me directly into confusion. It seemed that your education system is rather complicated, especially its higher education part. Tell me something about it to help me to get a clear idea about it.
Thanks.

Simple version of the British education system:

Age 2-3 : nursery school (not compulsory)
Age 3-4 : pre-school (not compulsory)

From 5 until 16, school is compulsory

Age 5-8 : Primary School
Age 8-11 : Junior School
Age 11-16 : Secondary/High School (exams taken during the final year are called GSSEs)

Age 16-18 : Sixth Form College / College of Further Education / Technical College (all optional) (Exams can be A Levels, AS Levels, NVQs and several others)
Age 18-21/22 : University / College of Higher Education (degrees)

We have both state-run and private schools - confusingly, the private schools are actually called "public schools". That's why sometimes you'll hear politicians etc referred to as "public schoolboys". That (usually) means they came from rich, upper-class families who could afford to send their children to the most expensive privately-paid schools.

It's probably not important but in the mid-80s there was a slight change in the age when we moved from middle (junior) school to high school. Until then, the age ranges (and school names) were:

First School - age 5-8
Middle School - age 8-12
High School - age 12-16

It was possible to move schools at the age of 11 if you took the "11 plus" exam. If you passed, you gained a place at a grammar school. These, at the time, were generally seen to give students a better education than a normal high school. As far as I'm aware, grammar schools don't exist any more.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Age 5-8 : Primary School
Age 8-11 : Junior School.
Slight tweak:

Primary Schools: 5-11. In Many areas, there may be two stages in primary education:
Infant Schools: 5-7/8
Junior Schools: 7/8- 11

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my school district, there are about four elementary schools that feed into one middle school, and another four that feed into a second middle school.

There are three high schools -- one middle school feeds into one high school, and the other middle school feeds into the second high school. The third one is new, and it's a STEM magnet school. Middle school kids from both schools apply for it. It's not completley independent -- it doesn't have its own sports teams or performance musical groups, for example. The students return to the high school they would have gone to for those programs.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks a lot. Then I've got a follow-up question along your line: Are elmentary school, middle school and high school independent of each other? May it be that a junior high and a senior high are two administrative parts of one school and there is only one head teacher /principal for them?

Please give an answer to my questions at the beginning of this same post. Thanks.

A school district is one political unit (run by elected school board members and the administrators they hire). There is one "superintendent" who is responsible for the entire district.

Where I live there are 7 elementary schools, 3 middle schools and 1 high school. Each individual school would have its own principal.

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In my school district, there are about four elementary schools that feed into one middle school, and another four that feed into a second middle school.

There are three high schools -- one middle school feeds into one high school, and the other middle school feeds into the second high school. The third one is new, and it's a STEM magnet school. Middle school kids from both schools apply for it. It's not completley independent -- it doesn't have its own sports teams or performance musical groups, for example. The students return to the high school they would have gone to for those programs.
Thanks, Barb.
Is it that what you are talking about is all about your local public schools? Is it that if your kid wants to go to a private school and you can support him or her financially, then he or she can attend any private school in any place of America?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it that if your kid wants to go to a private school and you can support him or her financially, then he or she can attend any private school in any place of America?

Yes, if the school accepts him or her. The school may not have any openings or may reject candidates for whatever reason they see fit. (Excluding illegal reasons like race or religious discrimination.)

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes, if the school accepts him or her. The school may not have any openings or may reject candidates for whatever reason they see fit. (Excluding illegal reasons like race or religious discrimination.)
Thank you very much, SoothingDave.

ohmyrichard

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you all for making replies to my questions. I never expected that I could get so much useful information here from you guys. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.