Member Type
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Dear all,

If I say to you, "I'd like to help you, but I only have so much time", does that imply I only have a little time to help you"?

Thank you!

OP

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It doesn't necessarily mean "a little" although that is the most common use. It just means that you want the listener to realise that you have a limit to the time available and after that you will be unable to help them further due to other responsibilities/arrangements/calls on your time.

herbiji

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kurdish
Home Country
Syria
Current Location
Syria
Dear all,

If I say to you, "I'd like to help you, but I only have so much time", does that imply I only have a little time to help you"?

Thank you!

OP
Dear teachers :)
Does " but I only have so much time" mean that I am busy with many other things?
so I will be able to help you unless I have been called for another duty/ arrangements...etc.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear teachers :)
Does " but I only have so much time" mean that I am busy with many other things?
so I will be able to help you unless I have been called for another duty/ arrangements...etc.

I can't say it better than ems did:
you have a limit to the time available and after that you will be unable to help them further

You may not be busy at all right now, but in two hours, you have an obligation. "I only have so much time" in that case would mean "I have these two hours to give you. After that, I'm done."

Status
Not open for further replies.