[General] How to address a bunch of co-workers, colegues, friends and in more formal situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charcool

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Hi all, Since I remember I have been embarrassing myself in front of groups of people trying to address them properly in Britain. It's happened in all sorts of situations more or less formal. Like here in England they rather stay away from 'Guys' common in american films. And 'hello everybody' is so weird to them so everybody give me a quick glare in silence :)

I don't know where that problem is, but it seems to formal register for some and to awkward to withstand for others. Please help :-D

Maybe you can show me the difference between North American greatings and English ones.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Try Good morning/afternoon/evening, ladies and gentlemen.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Try Good morning/afternoon/evening, ladies and gentlemen.

Rover

If you happen to notice that there are no women present, then "Good morning/afternoon/evening, gentlemen" and, obviously, if there are no men, "Good morning/afternoon/evening ladies".

I'm surprised that they don't seem to take too kindly to the use of "everyone". If the beginning of the salutation were polite (Good morning/afternoon/evening) I would certainly have no problem with the next word being "everyone".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about Good afternoon, colleagues?

Status
Not open for further replies.