Student or Learner
What does the "press" mean in this sentence?
Though their talks were wide-ranging, including the U.S.- South Korea free-trade agreement and tensions with North Korea, Mr. Obama was pressed about the U.S. response to the alleged plot.
Thanks a lot
- So, Mr President, what is the US's response to the alleged plot?
- I don't think it's appropriate to talk about that right now.
- Is the US considering taking military action in response to the plot?
- The US is considering all relevant options in this situation.
- But has the US formulated a plan of action as a response?
- There will be a press conference this afternoon about it.
- What will be said at the press conference with regard to the US response to the alleged plot?
- You'll have to go to the conference to find out! Now can we please move on to other matters.
Please note that that is a completely fictitious conversation which I made up to demonstrate the concept of "pressing" someone for an answer.