Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In every Korean grammar book, they classify all the sentences to the following 5 forms, but I don't know if these forms are from native speakers' original grammar or just Korean-made ones. Some exceptional sentences such as "He cracked open the door" don't fit any of them, fitting close to 5th form. I'm just curious if these are taught even in native speakers' educational course.

1st form - S+V - A dog made toward the gate (V: complete intransitive verb)
2nd form - S+V+C - You will make a good wife. (V: incomplete intransitive verb )
3rd form - S+V+O - He made a Christmas card. (V: complete transitive verb)
4th form - S+V+IO+DO - My dad made me a doll. (V: dative verb)
5th form - S+V+O+OC - He made his son a scientist.(V:incomplete transitive verb )

cf) C:complement, O:Object, IO-Indirect Object, DO- Direct Object, OC- Object Complement

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. And what does 'He cracked open the door' mean? I've met 'cracked open' in the context of bottles of champagne, but... Is it supposed to mean 'He opened the door a crack' (in which 'a crack' is just an adverbial phrase)?

I've met such lists of sentence forms, but not in regular school English lessons. I think there's a list like this in David Crystal's Encyclopedia of Language - I'll check.

b

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
No. And what does 'He cracked open the door' mean? I've met 'cracked open' in the context of bottles of champagne, but... Is it supposed to mean 'He opened the door a crack' (in which 'a crack' is just an adverbial phrase)?
I believe keannu is thinking about something like

He kicked the door open.

It does indeed agree with the fifth pattern.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
To crack open a door is a common term in the western US. I usually hear it this way, "He cracked open the door a bit", or, "crack open the door and let some air in", or, "I told him to crack open the door slowly."
This is also quite common in the northeast and works as well for windows.

Note that the OP read "He cracked opened the door." Is that a typo or does that appear in a Korean grammar book?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This is also quite common in the northeast and works as well for windows.

Note that the OP read "He cracked opened the door." Is that a typo or does that appear in a Korean grammar book?

I just made a mistake for "He cracked open the door", sorry!:oops::oops:
I just wanted to know if it belongs to 5th pattern as a variation, and did try to explain if we have to depend on 5 patterns or any other pattern rules as 5jj showed. Does 5 pattern matter to native speakers? I don't think it does to them, but to easily understand English for foreigners, it is important to some extent.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
.... Does 5 pattern matter to native speakers? I don't think it does to them, but to easily understand English for foreigners, it is important to some extent.

I think you're right both times (that native speakers don't give it that much thought, and that it's important to some extent).

In this connection I recall a surreal joke that could be exposed to this sort of analysis:

A. My mother made me a homosexual.
B Ooh, if I gave her the wool do you think she'd make me one?

(Today it would just be 'My mother made me gay' - which would spoil the joke - it needs a noun complement.)

b

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think you're right [...] that it's important to some extent).
I agree, but PLEASE, Keannu, don't start submitting lots of sentences and asking us why they appear not to fit into one of the patterns. That I wouldn't be happy about ;-).

The patterns may be a useful guide, but they do not cover all possibilities, especially in speech.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I agree, but PLEASE, Keannu, don't start submitting lots of sentences and asking us why they appear not to fit into one of the patterns. That I wouldn't be happy about ;-).

The patterns may be a useful guide, but they do not cover all possibilities, especially in speech.

My intention was to ask if the 5 patterns are also common and widely accepted among native speakers and grammarians as I have been used to it for a long time. But one day I abruptly thought it might be wrong (so the "crack open" example was just an evidence to contradict it), so I felt the great need to verify it by asking the teachers here. I didn't mean to complicate the question, but just quoted the basic patterns.

Status
Not open for further replies.