Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
The elf Arya accompanied Saphira. Her long black hair billowed wildly around her angular face as she sprang off the pile of rubble. Lines of splattered blood striped her arms and neck; gore smeared the blade of her sword. She alit with a soft scuff of leather against stone.
(C. Paolini; Inheritance)

Does the part in bold mean that a soft scuff was that of her shoes made from leather?

Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It means there was the gentle sound of soft leather brushing against stone. Her shoes were of leather.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

suprunp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If one is writing about gory elves, it's fine.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:-? I agree that a bit of archaic language used as local colour is not inappropriate in this sort of context. But that particular irregular past of a word that is already archaic struck me as an excessive level of arch obcurity. And I wouldn't recommend it as reading for an English language student - who will spend more time getting misleading (current) meanings in a dictionary than enjoying the story. ;-)

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

suprunp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
And I wouldn't recommend it as reading for an English language student - who will spend more time getting misleading (current) meanings in a dictionary than enjoying the story. ;-)
b

I, for one, can't help reading it, as I'd read the first three parts claimed to be a 'trilogy' and it turned out, quite unexpectedly, that there was the fourth part of a 'trilogy' still in the process of creation (and now that it's out I'm obliged to know the ending) :)

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
and now that it's out I'm obliged to know the ending) :)
I have just tried to read the synopsis. I don't think I'll bother with the full version. The good guys probably win in the end, but at a heavy cost. It will take several hundred pages to establish this.

suprunp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I have just tried to read the synopsis. I don't think I'll bother with the full version. The good guys probably win in the end, but at a heavy cost. It will take several hundred pages to establish this.

The main reason why I bothered with the first three parts in the first place was that they were pretty easy to read (the author must have worked on his style since then), which was of great concern to me at the time.

Frenchclem

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
:-? I agree that a bit of archaic language used as local colour is not inappropriate in this sort of context. But that particular irregular past of a word that is already archaic struck me as an excessive level of arch obcurity. And I wouldn't recommend it as reading for an English language student - who will spend more time getting misleading (current) meanings in a dictionary than enjoying the story. ;-)

b

Exactly ! It's my case. I try to read "Inheritance" and it's very difficult. And, when I don't find a word, it's worse...
Can you help me ? What does "alit" ?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
My daughter read this trilogy when she was 10 or eleven and I read some of the first one to see what she was reading. I believe the author was 17 or 18 when he wrote the first book.

Status
Not open for further replies.