Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In my textbook there is an article that introduces us to the band of 'the Monkeyees'. The title of the article is 'THE BAND THAT WASN'T'. I just don't understand what it means. Could you please expain what the title means?

Thank you in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Did you read the article? It might have told you about The Monkees, who were not actually a group (band) when they were hired to make a TV series about a rock group. So, initially, they were a band, but they were not (really) a band.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In my textbook there is an article that introduces us to the band of 'the Monkeyees'. The title of the article is 'THE BAND THAT WASN'T'. I just don't understand what it means. Could you please expain what the title means?

Thank you in advance.
It could also be about a band called the Monkeyees that did not exist.
It might be about a band that was going to be the Monkeyees, but became the Monkees.
But you have the article. Why not read it and tell us what you think it means?

joham

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you very much, 5jj and Raymott. I've got a bit clearer now. I thought the text wanted to tell us how the band began, developed, broke up and reunited and thus didn't understand why it had the title of 'THE BAND THAT WASN'T', which clearly couldn't embody the whole text.

This is the text:

THE BAND THAT WASN’T
Have you ever wanted to be part of a band as a famous singer or musician? Have you ever dreamed of playing in front of thousands of people at a concert, at which everyone is clapping and appreciating your music? Do you sing karaoke and pretend you are a famous singer like Song Zuying or Lin Huan? To be honest, a lot of people attach great importance to becoming rich and famous. But just how do people form a band?
Many musicians meet and form a band because they like to write and play their own music. They may start as a group of high-school students, for wh
bac
om practicing their music in someone’s hours is the first step to fame. Sometimes they may play to passers-by in the street or subway so that they can earn some extra money for themselves or to pay for their instruments. Later they may give performances in pubs or clubs, for which they are paid in cash. Of course they hope to make records in a studio and sell millions of copies to become millionaires!
However, there was one band hat started in a different way. It was called the Monkees and began as a TV show. The musicians were to play jokes on each other as well as play music, most of which was based loosely on the beatles. The TV organizers had planned to find four musicians who could act as well as sing. They put an advertisement in a newspaper looking for rock musicians, but they could only find one who was good enough. They had to use actors for the other three members of the band.
As some of these actors could not sing well enough, they had to rely on other musicians to help them. So during the broadcasts they just pretended to sing. Anyhow their performances were humorous enough to be copied by clubs in order to get more familiar with them. Each week on TV, the Mondees would play and sing songs written by other musicians. However, after a year or so in which they became more serious about their work, the Monkees started to play and sing their own songs like a real band. Then they produced their own records and started touring and play their own music. In the USA they became even more popular than the Beatles and sold even more records. The band broke up about 1970, but happily the reunited in the mid-1980s. they produced a new record in 1996, with which they celebrated their former time as a real band.

Status
Not open for further replies.