Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
:) Hello every one,

I am back again !! I was a bit occupied these months and now I am back
I have a question but in my country no one knows how to answer it or at least explain it for me :cry: for this reason I am writing for you and I hope to have some help.

I was reading an article about ESP ( English for Specific Purpose) and I have found that there are many approaches to needs analysis among them : Learner-centered approaches and I have found this explanation : BERWICK (1989) and BRINDLEY (1989) are leaders in contributing learner-centered approaches to needs analysis. Three ways to look at learner needs are offered among them: Perceived vs. felt needs; the first are from the perspective of experts while ‘felt needs’ are from the perspective of learners (BERWICK, 1989).

Please can anyone explain for me this sentence (Perceived vs. felt needs; the first are from the perspective of experts while ‘felt needs’ are from the perspective of learners (BERWICK, 1989) ) because I did not understand it very well :cry:I will be thankful.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
:) Hello every one,

I am back again !! I was a bit occupied these months and now I am back
I have a question but in my country no one knows how to answer it or at least explain it for me :cry: for this reason I am writing for you and I hope to have some help.

I was reading an article about ESP ( English for Specific Purpose) and I have found that there are many approaches to needs analysis among them : Learner-centered approaches and I have found this explanation : BERWICK (1989) and BRINDLEY (1989) are leaders in contributing learner-centered approaches to needs analysis. Three ways to look at learner needs are offered among them: Perceived vs. felt needs; the first are from the perspective of experts while ‘felt needs’ are from the perspective of learners (BERWICK, 1989).

Please can anyone explain for me this sentence (Perceived vs. felt needs; the first are from the perspective of experts while ‘felt needs’ are from the perspective of learners (BERWICK, 1989) ) because I did not understand it very well :cry:I will be thankful.
"Perceived needs" are what the expert thinks the learner needs to learn. "Felt needs" are what the learner thinks/feels s/he needs to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.