Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Dear Teacher/Member

I have a problem with the sentence following:
But there are also new crime types emerging
I understand the meaning of this sentence, like : "There are new kind of crime." But I don't understand its structures.
For example:
There are also new crime
S ------ V --------- adj--noun
I know that "Adjective" is a word that describe a "Noun" and position of Adjective is in front of Noun to make a pharse. That makes a sense.

But I don't understand 2 words "types" and "emerging" in this sentence, about both its structures - place and its meaning.
Looking at dictionary, and I see that :
- type (noun): a particular group of people or things which shares similar characteristics and forms a smaller division of a larger set. And I think it is similar to "kind".
- emerging (adj): starting to exist

Why dose someone put a Noun before an Adjective?
What is assignment of this pharse "type emerging" in the sentence, for example it attributes to what?

Please help me, my English is not good but I'm trying hard to improve my English skill.
Thanks in advancce and Best Regards.
/On second thought, I think "crime types" is Noun-pharse. But Do we can use like that? I am really confuse :(

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear Teacher/Member

I have a problem with the sentence following:
I understand the meaning of this sentence, like : "There are new kind of crime."

I'm short of time so I will just make one comment. Your paraphrasing is not correct.

There are new crime types emerging = New kinds of crime are turning up/appearing.

Your sentence "There are new kind of crime" is not correct. After "there are", you need a plural.

youandcorey

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
I recommend this one:

But there are also new types of crimes emerging day by day.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I'm short of time so I will just make one comment. Your paraphrasing is not correct.

There are new crime types emerging = New kinds of crime are turning up/appearing.

Your sentence "There are new kind of crime" is not correct. After "there are", you need a plural.

If it says that "types of emerging crime", it make a sense for me. But it say "crime types emerging" (N+N+ADJ), so I don't understand what's rule of English to allow to do that?
I'm sorry if my question is too ridiculous.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I recommend this one:

But there are also new types of crimes emerging day by day.
I almost known the meaning of this sentence (like you said above). But my problem is position and assignment of words in original sentence.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If it says that "types of emerging crime", it make a sense for me. But it say "crime types emerging" (N+N+ADJ), so I don't understand what's rule of English to allow to do that?
I'm sorry if my question is too ridiculous.
"Emerging" is not an adjective. It's the present participle of the verb construction "are emerging" - the present continuous tense.
"New types are emerging" = "There are new types emerging."

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
"Emerging" is not an adjective. It's the present participle of the verb construction "are emerging" - the present continuous tense.
"New types are emerging" = "There are new types emerging."
:up: oh, I got it.
But there is one thing I want to solve.
I think it should be " types of crime" instead of "crime types". Is "crime types" grammatically correct?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
:up: oh, I got it.
But there is one thing I want to solve.
I think it should be " types of crime" instead of "crime types". Is "crime types" grammatically correct?
Yes, they mean the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.