Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 469
    #1

    How to ask my question

    I have an interested buyer, and I want to ask him what is the highest price that he would offer. How can I ask him in a correct way?

    I thought of something like:

    What is your highest price?

    What is the highest price?

    What is your highest offer?

    What is your highest price for abc item?

    What is your highest offer for abc item?

    What is your highest price that you would pay?

    What is your highest price that you would offer?

    What is your highest price that you are willing pay?

    What is your highest price that you are willing offer?

    I am not sure if the sentences above are appropriate, or if there are any better ways of asking please let me know. Thanks

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,843
    #2

    Re: How to ask my question

    What's your best offer?
    Make me your best offer.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 469
    #3

    Re: How to ask my question

    Does "best offer" have the same meaning as "highest offer"? The buyer will understand that I am looking for the highest price when he sees "What's your best offer"?

    Is it also right to say:
    What's your highest offer?
    Make me your highest offer.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,843
    #4

    Re: How to ask my question

    Quote Originally Posted by goodstudent View Post
    Does "best offer" have the same meaning as "highest offer"? The buyer will understand that I am looking for the highest price when he sees "What's your best offer"?

    Is it also right to say:
    What's your highest offer?
    Make me your highest offer.
    If you're the seller and you say "What's your best offer?" or "What's your best price?" the buyer knows you're looking for the highest offer.

    If you're the buyer and you ask the seller "What's your best price?" then the seller knows the buyer is looking for the lowest price the seller will accept.

    There's nothing wrong with "What's your highest offer?" but it wouldn't be my first choice.

  3. Ouisch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 4,142
    #5

    Re: How to ask my question

    As the seller you would ask the buyer "What is your best offer?" He will understand that you are asking what is the highest price he is willing to pay. If the price he offers is much less than you are willing to accept then you reply with something like "Oh, I'm sorry, that's not even close to what I had in mind." or (if you are in the US) "Thanks, but you're not even in the ballpark." Usually that's when negotiations will begin....you can ask the buyer "Maybe we can meet half-way - how much are you willing to go up if I come down a bit?"

    A lot of what you can say depends upon the scenario - what are you selling? Are you selling it on your behalf, or as a salesperson representing a company?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 469
    #6

    Re: How to ask my question

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    A lot of what you can say depends upon the scenario - what are you selling? Are you selling it on your behalf, or as a salesperson representing a company?
    I am selling my personal printer.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 469
    #7

    Re: How to ask my question

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    As the seller you would ask the buyer "What is your best offer?" He will understand that you are asking what is the highest price he is willing to pay. If the price he offers is much less than you are willing to accept then you reply with something like "Oh, I'm sorry, that's not even close to what I had in mind." or (if you are in the US) "Thanks, but you're not even in the ballpark." Usually that's when negotiations will begin....you can ask the buyer "Maybe we can meet half-way - how much are you willing to go up if I come down a bit?"
    Thanks for the examples. It is helpful to me.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-Sep-2011, 09:04
  2. One more question (How to formulate english question?)
    By JustAlilBit in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 19-May-2011, 22:04
  3. Just a quick question please - Detail in a question.
    By richuk in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-Apr-2010, 12:59
  4. [Grammar] Negative Question, Leading Question
    By unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Feb-2009, 15:17
  5. what's kind of question is good question?
    By Phoenix Wu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-May-2008, 07:45

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •