Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Sri Lanka
Dear Sir,

Today my friend had a lunch invitation right by the way I met him now and I asked him about the party but he told me that he couldn't go. Then I told him this way :
"If you would go to the dinner/party you would eat more chicken".

Please tell me the way I talk to him is correct?

Thanks a lot.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Dear Sir,[/STRIKE] Hello

Today my friend had a lunch invitation. right by the way I met him now (I don't understand the underlined part at all) and I asked him about the party. [STRIKE]but[/STRIKE] He told me that he couldn't go. Then I [STRIKE]told[/STRIKE] said to him [STRIKE]this way[/STRIKE] :

"If you [STRIKE]would go[/STRIKE] went to the dinner/party you would eat more chicken".

Please tell me if [STRIKE]the way I talk[/STRIKE] what I said to him is correct?

Thanks a lot.

Please see my notes above in red. I'm not sure what you were trying to say to him but "If you went ... you would eat ..." is the correct construction.

If your friend had not yet decided whether to go, you could have said "If you go ... you will eat ..."

If you saw him the day after the lunch you would say "If you had gone ... you would have eaten ..."

I could not understand what you meant by "right by the way I met him now". Did you mean that you had just met him in the street and asked him about the lunch?

I'm also not sure what information you were trying to impart. Does your friend eat more chicken than anyone else when he goes out to lunch? Had he already had lots of chicken in the morning and you were suggesting that he would be able to eat even more chicken if he attended the lunch?

Miquash

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Sri Lanka
Hello,

Thank you very much for your answer and my point was this what you mentioned below..

If you saw him the day after the lunch you would say "If you had gone ... you would have eaten ..."

Regards.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

Thank you very much for your answer and my point was this what you mentioned below..

Regards.
How big is the Tamil community in Scotland?

Status
Not open for further replies.