Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This is a question I can't understand. I think the question is wrong or I misunderstand it. Analogy seems to mean the comparison between two similar things, so I thought 2 is the answer as between 1 and 2 comes the comparison of life things for the darkness example. If 1 is the answer, could you tell me why it is?

Question: Put the underlined into either 1 or 2 - Answer (1)
It is worth reminding ourselves that this analogy holds very true in our lives in many ways.
ex)Have you ever remained awake throughout the night to witness the dawn? It is not only a magical time but also a moment when the night seems to envelop the world in an impenetrable darkness that would seem impossible to dispel. The time just before the dawn breaks, before it brings the first glimmer of sunlight, is the absolutely darkest moment. (1) It is often when we are at the absolute point of despair that things suddenly begin to pick up again, and somehow we receive hope and courage and can see circumstances changing in our favor once more. (2) Therefore, never despair and teach your self the inner wisdom that nature shows us, in other words, the truth that the darkest moment is just before the dawn.....

lcoulby

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If you put the sentences together as requested:

1) It is often when we are at the absolute point of despair that things suddenly begin to pick up again, and somehow we receive hope and courage and can see circumstances changing in our favor once more; it is worth reminding ourselves that this analogy holds very true in our lives in many ways;

The statement in No 1 is a complete sentence and so the dependent question clause can be added and the sentence still will be grammatically correct.

2) Therefore, never despair and teach your self the inner wisdom that nature shows us, in other words, the truth that the darkest moment is just before the dawn..... It is worth reminding ourselves that this analogy holds very true in our lives in many ways.

'Therefore' is a connecting adverb and this is being used to show a relationship between the ideas expressed in this sentence and the previous one.

Sentence No 2 is dependent sentence and cannot be grammatically correct when given without the previous one and so adding the question clause is only adding another dependent clause and would not make this sentence grammatically correct.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you put the sentences together as requested:
My understanding of the task is that the sentence given is to be placed where the numbers (1) and (2) are.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
My understanding of the task is that the sentence given is to be placed where the numbers (1) and (2) are.

Do you mean the following is correct? I think if it comes in (1), it doesn't show any analogy(comparison) with life lessons, so it's too early. I wonder if you meant this composition.

(1) It is often when we are at the absolute point of despair that things suddenly begin to pick up again, and somehow we receive hope and courage and can see circumstances changing in our favor once more.(2) It is worth reminding ourselves that this analogy holds very true in our lives in many ways Therefore, never despair and teach your self the inner wisdom that nature shows us, in other words, the truth that the darkest moment is just before the dawn.....

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I thought that the sentence should be placed in one of these two places:

Have you ever remained awake throughout the night to witness the dawn? It is not only a magical time but also a moment when the night seems to envelop the world in an impenetrable darkness that would seem impossible to dispel. The time just before the dawn breaks, before it brings the first glimmer of sunlight, is the absolutely darkest moment. (1) It is worth reminding ourselves that this analogy holds very true in our lives in many ways. It is often when we are at the absolute point of despair that things suddenly begin to pick up again, and somehow we receive hope and courage and can see circumstances changing in our favor once more. (2) It is worth reminding ourselves that this analogy holds very true in our lives in many ways.Therefore, never despair and teach your self the inner wisdom that nature shows us, in other words, the truth that the darkest moment is just before the dawn.....

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I thought that the sentence should be placed in one of these two places:

Have you ever remained awake throughout the night to witness the dawn? It is not only a magical time but also a moment when the night seems to envelop the world in an impenetrable darkness that would seem impossible to dispel. The time just before the dawn breaks, before it brings the first glimmer of sunlight, is the absolutely darkest moment. (1) It is worth reminding ourselves that this analogy holds very true in our lives in many ways. It is often when we are at the absolute point of despair that things suddenly begin to pick up again, and somehow we receive hope and courage and can see circumstances changing in our favor once more. (2) It is worth reminding ourselves that this analogy holds very true in our lives in many ways.Therefore, never despair and teach your self the inner wisdom that nature shows us, in other words, the truth that the darkest moment is just before the dawn.....

I don't know how (1) fits as analogy should compare two things, maybe before introducing another, the concept of the dawn case can be an analogy by itself, I guess. Can analogy mean just a concept without comparing two things?

Status
Not open for further replies.