• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Galician
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Antilles

granted

When asked, the staff was busying coming up with such excuses as that the attending physician actually did rounds regularly but couldn’t meet me because I was always asleep during daytime. Granted, when asked what my name was, the physician couldn’t even remember my name.

Hi,

I want to know whether the usage of "granted" in the above sentence makes sense since I haven't fully grasp the accurate application of that word in a sentence.

Is it OK as it is or does it need revision?

Also, I would be grateful if you'd tell me how I should fix another underlined part "such excuses as that". (I don't think it's right.. should I just rephrase it plainly like "...coming up with excuses, telling us that the attending physician..." or is there a more delicate way to do so?)

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by rainous; 14-Nov-2011 at 07:00.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • France

Re: granted

Here, granted means : agree or admit to (someone) that (something) is true : he hasn't made much progress, I'll grant you that.
    It's true that the when he was asked what my name was, the physician couldn’t remember.

When asked, the staff explained that the attending physician actually did rounds regularly but couldn’t meet me because I was always asleep during daytime.

John

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: granted

Quote Originally Posted by rainous View Post
    When asked, the staff was busying coming came up with such excuses as that the attending physician actually did rounds regularly but couldn’t meet me because I was always asleep during daytime. Granted, when asked what my name was, the physician couldn’t even remember my name.

Hi,

I want to know whether the usage of "granted" in the above sentence makes sense since I haven't fully grasped the accurate application of that word in a sentence.

Is it OK as it is or does it need revision?

Personally, I think "Granted" is OK, but it needs to be followed by something that's actually related in some way to the preceding sentence. For example, "Granted, I did sleep a lot in the hospital but I can't believe I was always asleep during rounds!"

Also, I would be grateful if you'd tell me how I should fix another underlined part "such excuses as that". (I don't think it's right.. should I just rephrase it plainly like "...coming up with excuses, telling us that the attending physician..." or is there a more delicate way to do so?)

I would actually prefer this part in reported speech 'When asked, the staff came up with excuses such as "Actually, the attending physician did rounds regularly but couldn't speak to you because you were always asleep during the daytime." '

Thanks in advance.
    See above.