Can I say"what a pity"in such a situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roseriver1012

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The following is what I've seen from the textbook for teaching English named" Oxford English":
One boy says: " That tree fell on the canteen in the storm last night."
another says:"What a pity/shame!"
My question : Is the sentence proper in such a situation? I thought only when someone feels disappointed, he or she may say: what a pity/shame. But here it is almost a disaster (a tree fell on the canteen). Doesn't it sound a little too careless?

Another question: How do students at school address their teachers? Do they say: Mr... or Ms...? Is there a time when they directly address a teacher "teacher"? What if a student does not know the teacher's name? How does he address the teacher?

Thanks for your patient replies! :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The following is what I've seen from the textbook for teaching English named" Oxford English":
One boy says: " That tree fell on the canteen in the storm last night."
another says:"What a pity/shame!"
My question : Is the sentence proper in such a situation? I thought only when someone feels disappointed, he or she may say: what a pity/shame. But here it is almost a disaster (a tree fell on the canteen). Doesn't it sound a little too careless?

"What a pity" really doesn't sound dramatic enough for such a situation, in my opinion.

Another question: How do students at school address their teachers? Do they say: Mr... or Ms...? Is there a time when they directly address a teacher "teacher"? What if a student does not know the teacher's name? How does he address the teacher?

In my schooldays, teachers were referred to as "Mr xxx" or "Miss/Mrs xxxx". We always knew their names. When I went to Sixth Form College at the age of 16, some teachers asked us to address them by their first name, some as "Mr/Miss/Mrs xxxx". There was only one teachers at that college who insisted on being called "Sir". In the UK, that would be the address used if no name were involved. I don't know if calling a female teacher simply "Miss" is still done.

Thanks for your patient replies! :)

See above. For future reference, please put totally unconnected questions in two separate threads - the answers can get very confused with two different questions in one thread. Thanks.

roseriver1012

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
See above. For future reference, please put totally unconnected questions in two separate threads - the answers can get very confused with two different questions in one thread. Thanks.

Thank your for your advice, and I will be careful about that in future.
As for your reply to the address of the teacher, how come a student knows all the teachers' names in a school? So a student never calls a teacer "teacher" at school?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank your for your advice, and I will be careful about that in future.
As for your reply to the address of the teacher, how come a student knows all the teachers' names in a school? So a student never calls a teacer "teacher" at school?

To be honest, I have no recollection how we learnt all the teachers names at school. Maybe they wore name labels at my first two schools. Of course, when we first started a school, we couldn't know all their names so I think we called them "Miss" and "Sir" until we knew their names. I don't think (at my schools) anyone ever simply said "Teacher", no.

roseriver1012

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
To be honest, I have no recollection how we learnt all the teachers names at school. Maybe they wore name labels at my first two schools. Of course, when we first started a school, we couldn't know all their names so I think we called them "Miss" and "Sir" until we knew their names. I don't think (at my schools) anyone ever simply said "Teacher", no.

You are really quick in replying! :lol: What if the student does not know a female teacher's name and this teacher happens to be married? Can the student still call her "Miss"?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes. If pupils don't use a female teacher's name, they always address her as 'Miss'.

waflob

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Germany
You might sometimes notice that the English have a strange idea about the seriousness of things. All part of the English love of understatement.

As an example, a multi-car pile-up on the motorway might be described as 'a spot of bother on the way', but the fridge breaking down would be 'an absolute catastrophe!!'.

roseriver1012

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You might sometimes notice that the English have a strange idea about the seriousness of things. All part of the English love of understatement.

As an example, a multi-car pile-up on the motorway might be described as 'a spot of bother on the way', but the fridge breaking down would be 'an absolute catastrophe!!'.

Then do you mean that "what a pity/shame" is ok to say in the situation I mentioned?

roseriver1012

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes. If pupils don't use a female teacher's name, they always address her as 'Miss'.

So can I safely say that Ms.is always used with names? Thanks for your reply.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So can I safely say that Ms. is always used with names?
No. Nobody has suggested that.

If you have been told the teacher's name, then you address her in the form you have been told: Dr Foster, Miss Construe, Mrs Jordan, Ms Francis.

If you know the teacher's name, but do not know how she wishes to be addressed, then it is safest to use 'Ms': Ms Foster, Ms Construe, Ms Jordan, Ms Francis. The teacher will tell you if she wishes to be addressed in a different way.

If you do not know the teacher's name, then you address her as 'Miss'.

waflob

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Germany
Then do you mean that "what a pity/shame" is ok to say in the situation I mentioned?
It is ok, but you should be aware that it is somewhat understated. There are, of course, other responses that are equally valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.