[Essay] What does "very first order" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fariba_sabok

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
hi. i was reading the short story by Thomas Jefferson.I dealt with some problems. will u plz help me in finding the meaning of couple of sentences?
what does "without being of the very first order" mean here?
and also

his insight was strong and as far as it went no judgment was ever sounder.
wht does " no judgment was ever sounder" mean here?

thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, fariba. :hi:

Please try to use standard English spellings and punctuation in this forum. Thank you
[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE]Hi. [STRIKE]i[/STRIKE] I was reading [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a short story by Thomas Jefferson.spaceI dealt with some problems. [STRIKE]w[/STRIKE] Will you pl[STRIKE]z[/STRIKE]ease help me in finding the meaning of a couple of sentences?
[STRIKE]w[/STRIKE] What does "without being of the very first order" mean here? Where?.....and also:

"[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE] His insight was strong and as far as it went no judgment was ever sounder."
[STRIKE]w[/STRIKE] Waht does " no judgment was ever sounder" mean here?
His judgment was the soundest of any person living. Nobody's judgement was sounder than his.

fariba_sabok

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Welcome to the forum, fariba. :hi:

Please try to use standard English spellings and punctuation in this forum. Thank youHis judgment was the soundest of any person living. Nobody's judgement was sounder than his.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I will try to be more careful;) Actually I typed it in a hurry and I forgot to check it again.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I will try to be more careful;) Actually I typed it in a hurry and I forgot to check it again.
Fariba, 5jj asked you where you found the phrase "without being of the very first order". Please read what you are asked carefully and try to answer. Otherwise, you have a lesser chance of getting a satisfactory answer. 5jj asked you this question for a reason. It's often impossible to determine the meaning of a phrase without any context.

I have managed to find the context by googling your phrase. It's here. But next time, please provide the context yourself. It was easy to find now but it often isn't.

The AHD tells us that "order" sometimes means

18. Degree of quality or importance; rank: poetry of a high order.

Does it help you understand the phrase?

fariba_sabok

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Yes, thank you. I have the context but I just typed the sentence that I had problem.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Yes, thank you. I have the context but I just typed the sentence that I had problem.
Yes, I know you do have the context. The problem is that we don't -- and we need it to understand your sentence.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you do not give us the context, then you can not expect a good answer, or perhaps any answer at all.

fariba_sabok

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Sure. From now on I will be more careful about my questions;-) Thank you all. I have found very nice website for my answers. I mean this website. That's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.