Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 78
    #1

    Wink lonely or alone?

    Is there any difference between lonely and alone? Do they have different meaning?

    Thanks alot

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,829
    #2

    Re: lonely or alone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cut!e P!e View Post
    Is there any difference between lonely and alone? Do they have different meaning?

    Thanks alot
    Yes, they are different. "Alone" simply means that there are no other people with you. "Lonely" is an emotion. It means that you feel sad and you feel as if you are alone. You might not be alone. It's possible to feel lonely even in a room full of people.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #3

    Re: lonely or alone?

    They have different meanings. Try looking them up here, OneLook Dictionary Search, and come back if you have any problems.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 78
    #4

    Re: lonely or alone?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Yes, they are different. "Alone" simply means that there are no other people with you. "Lonely" is an emotion. It means that you feel sad and you feel as if you are alone. You might not be alone. It's possible to feel lonely even in a room full of people.
    Thank you very much!

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    They have different meanings. Try looking them up here, OneLook Dictionary Search, and come back if you have any problems.
    That's a great website.
    Thanks!

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,829
    #5

    Re: lonely or alone?

    I should have made it clear that "lonely" is an adjective, describing the feeling experienced when suffering "loneliness", the actual emotion.

  4. euncu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,314
    #6

    Re: lonely or alone?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Yes, they are different. "Alone" simply means that there are no other people with you. "Lonely" is an emotion. It means that you feel sad and you feel as if you are alone. You might not be alone. It's possible to feel lonely even in a room full of people.

    But will I be correct if I'm to use the word alone as an indication of being isolated from others. So one might feel alone in a crowded room. Is my interpretation right?

    Thanks for the answers in advance.

  5. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #7

    Re: lonely or alone?

    Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    But will I be correct if I'm to use the word "alone" as an indication of being isolated from others. So one might feel alone in a crowded room. Is my interpretation right?
    You can feel alone, but you cannot really be alone in a crowded room, unless you are indicating that your partner is not with you.

Similar Threads

  1. alone vs lonely
    By kubishtr in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Jun-2011, 19:36
  2. alone and lonely
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22-Oct-2009, 22:38
  3. the adverb of lonely
    By enydia in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-Apr-2008, 10:18
  4. I can't stand to be lonely
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Jan-2008, 09:32
  5. Solitary / Lonely
    By Belly T in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18-Mar-2007, 15:58

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •