[General] I have some curiosity about Shakespeare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billie9274

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello.
I have some curiosity about Shakespeare.

One day, I found a short comedy clip and also found a sentence from it saying,
'Amest I bovvered?'.
At first I found it very strange and soon I realized that it's like an Old English thing.

So, I thought maybe I can find this things in pieces like shakespeare(although I can't read) because that was written in almost 400 years ago; But when I read anything like shakespeare, I could only find differences in grammar and 'thy thee art thou' things..sometimes some different spellings and unfamiliar-looking words.

Except these, it was almost like a modern english to me,personally.
What happened? Or maybe have I been just reading an modified version?(like everywhere in the internet?)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We need more information about the clip before we can begin to answer your question.

Billie9274

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you! I wasn't able to post a link. So, I was writing down all the stories just then.
It's in 3:36.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you! I wasn't able to post a link. So, I was writing down all the stories just then.
It's in 3:36.
I don't know if "amest" or "amst" was ever used - I'm pretty sure it's not in Shakespeare - but the skit is based on a teacher trying to teach Shakespeare, and Lauren is using a lot of mock-Elizabethan words and phrases.
In fact, the "-st" ening was used for the second person: "Thou wast; thou didst; thou speakest"
Don't believe anything she says.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks for the link, raymott.

Billie, the 'schoolgirl' in that sketch was using mock-Shakespearian language for comedy effect. If you managed to work out that the words were 'amèst I bovverèd', then your listening skills are quite sharp. Indeed, if you can follow sketches like that, then your listening skills are at near-native level. I am surprised that you did not get the point.

Billie9274

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you very much. :)
I knew 'Amest I bovvered?' is quite like a mock-language, but since I'm mearly a non-native student I didn't know the terms like that were used. -now I know it thanks to you. Thank you!

Last edited:

asmaa shaban ali

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Re: reading alot for shakespeare improve your english language specially in macbeth.

reading alot for shakespeare improve your english language and you will find what you want in macbeth.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: reading alot for shakespeare improve your english language specially in macbeth.

reading alot for shakespeare improve your english language and you will find what you want in macbeth.
Reading a lot of Shakespeare will improve your English. You will find what you are looking for in Macbeth.

Welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure what the point of this post is, however. What is this person, who posted many months ago, looking for? What will be found in Macbeth? (I'm not sure that reading Shakespeare as it was written will help many people learning English; even native speakers struggle with the language of the 1500s.)

Please note that capital letters are an important part of correct English.

Status
Not open for further replies.