Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 245
    #1

    marginalized

    Hi.
    "precision is the keynote in pawn endings.Room for error is marginalized."

    What does it mean for room for error to be marginalized?

  2. JohnParis's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 773
    #2

    Re: marginalized

    Marginalize means to treat (a person, group, or concept) as insignificant or peripheral.

    In the game of chess, precision is the key to pawn endgames. If you are precise, you reduce the possibility of error.

  3. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 245
    #3

    Re: marginalized

    It doesn't mean that there is no(or almost no) room for making mistakes?

    After all, It tells nothing about the criteria at all!

  4. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 245
    #4

    Re: marginalized

    Quote Originally Posted by hooshdar3 View Post
    It doesn't mean that there is no(or almost no) room for making mistakes?

    After all, It tells nothing about the criteria at all!
    Any idea?

  5. JohnParis's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 773
    #5

    Re: marginalized

    I understood "precision is the keynote in pawn endings" to mean: the key to successful pawn endgames (endings) is precision.
    Then, I felt that the next sentence was saying: If you are precise, you will reduce the margin of error.

    John

  6. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 245
    #6

    Re: marginalized

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnParis View Post
    I understood "precision is the keynote in pawn endings" to mean: the key to successful pawn endgames (endings) is precision.
    Then, I felt that the next sentence was saying: If you are precise, you will reduce the margin of error.

    John
    My chess knowledge as a national coach, as well as what was said before in the text(I don't know where exactly)-or maybe I read or heard that somewhere else-tells me that mistakes in pawn endings are not allowed and that it will be penalized very severely since we are "close to the the moment of truth".

  7. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 245
    #7

    Re: marginalized

    Sorry, your forum will not notify subscribers to the thread?-sorry for the off topic

  8. JohnParis's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 773
    #8

    Re: marginalized

    Quote Originally Posted by hooshdar3 View Post
    My chess knowledge as a national coach, as well as what was said before in the text(I don't know where exactly)-or maybe I read or heard that somewhere else-tells me that mistakes in pawn endings are not allowed and that it will be penalized very severely since we are "close to the the moment of truth".
    I am sorry, but I am thoroughly confused.

    Did I answer your question concerning the correct use of English?
    I am not a good enough chess player to discuss the strategy of the game with a national coach. Then again, that's not what we do here. I just try to answer questions about English.

    John

  9. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #9

    Re: marginalized

    John Paris has given sound answers to the question posted. I am now closing this thread, as there is some risk of confusion with follow-ups that are not relevant to the OP.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •