• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • Nigeria

Talking How should I say it?

I live in a place where power cut is a regular occurrence. When this happens, the common expression used by the people is They have taken the light, or They have seized light. Please are these expressions correct and standard, or is there a better way to put it?

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: How should I say it?

My first reaction might be simply to say, "Oh, the lights have gone out". I might then say, "A fuse must have blown". Only after checking the fusebox would I, possibly, come to the conclusion that there had been a power cut.

Neither of the expressions you have given seems natural to me. They may well be natural in Nigerian English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by otevia View Post
    I live in a place where power cut is a regular occurrence. When this happens, the common expression used by the people is They have taken the light, or They have seized light. Please are these expressions correct and standard, or is there a better way to put it?

Thanks.
    I have the same problem where I live. I say to my English-speaking friends that my area experienced a "power failure/outage."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

(Not a Teacher)

It could also be what's known as a "rolling blackout", where electrical utility companies cut power to certain regions for a period of time to avoid overloading the generators.

This response is a little off the wall though. I think 5jj and riquecohen's answers are closer to what you're looking for.