[General] Can you please check if these sentences are correct or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eureka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
[FONT=&#48148][FONT=바탕]Hi! teachers.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&#48148][FONT=바탕][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&#48148][FONT=바탕](Q1) My first question is whether of not those two sentences below are gramatically correct. If both of them are gramatically correct, then which one is more commonly used among native speakers?[/FONT]
[FONT=바탕][/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=&#48148][FONT=바탕]The poorest are worst hit in a recession.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&#48148][FONT=바탕]The poorest are hit the worst in a recession.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&#48148][/FONT]
[FONT=&#48148][/FONT]
[FONT=바탕][FONT=&#48148](Q2) [/FONT][FONT=&#48148][FONT=&#48148]Jerry Yang[/FONT][FONT=&#48148] has become a name after the runaway success of Yahoo!. [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=바탕]I'm also wondering if 'name' in the sentence above means a famons person, which is my second question. I think native speakers usually say 'big name' in order to refer to a famous person, but I'm curious if just 'name' alone can be used for a' famous person'.
[/FONT][FONT=바탕][FONT=&#48148][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=바탕][FONT=&#48148][/FONT]
[FONT=&#48148][/FONT]

Thank you for your help in advance. :)

[/FONT]

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
[FONT=&#48148][FONT=바탕][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&#48148][FONT=바탕]The poorest are worst hit in a recession.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&#48148][FONT=바탕]The poorest are hit the worst in a recession.[/FONT][/FONT]
To me, the first suggests that the worst suffering of the poorest occurs during a recession; the second suggest that nobody is hit harder than the poorest.

waflob

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Germany
5jj has given a good answer to Q1, so I'll only address Q2.

It is more common to refer to someone well-known as 'a household name'.

Status
Not open for further replies.