Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello, teachers What does the part underlined mean? Thanks! :)

The juice goes out of Christianity when it becomes too based on faith rather than on living like Jesus or seeing he world as Jesus saw it.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Idioms are very difficult.
The idiom in question here is "the juice runs out". It's not one I see used very often but generally means that something has lost its (stored) power. If the battery in your automobile has died, it's often said that "my battery has run out of juice". If you're too tired to continue to run in a race, you might say "I have run out of juice" (your energy has been depleted).

It would be inappropriate to comment further on the meaning of your entire sentence.

John

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Harry, please give your threads more helpful titles in future. Meaning of 'The juice goes out of ...? would have been fine.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Juice" is also a slang term used in AmE to mean respect, credibility or influence. Likewise, if a web page has a large level of credibility that encourages others to link to it, that page is referred to as having "link juice." Since your Christianity quote was originally stated by Steve Jobs, I'm guessing that perhaps he had the "credibility" definition in mind.

Harry12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks all of you! :-D

Mr JJ, I will next time:-D.

Status