• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

What exactly IS a "blog"?

Please do not laugh.

But what is the difference between a so-called weblog and a website (such as usingenglish. com)?

THANK YOU

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: What exactly IS a "blog"?

Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    Please do not laugh.

But what is the difference between a so-called weblog and a website (such as usingenglish. com)?

THANK YOU
    A blog is like an online diary, written either by an individual or a company. It's designed to keep people up-to-date with what someone is doing, or perhaps a company's latest products.

A "log" is another name for a diary or a written history of events. So a "web-log" is a diary held on the internet. That became "weblog" which in turn was abbreviated to "blog".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Sometimes there may appear to be no great difference. It depends on the people writing them. When I first decided to share some of my ideas about grammar, I knew nothing about websites, so I started a blog. Gramorak's Blog | A haven for grammar bunnies . I gave up when I discovered usingenglish.com - I would sooner spend time in this forum reading and answering interesting questions than writing a blog that nobody would read anyway. I did finally, with my daughter's assistance, create a website, Gramorak - Homepage . I use this now as a store for grammar ideas. I find it useful to provide links to if I think somebody in this forum might be interested in a more detailed answer than is possible here.

Some people think that people creating personal websites and blogs must be pretty conceited to feel that others might be interested in their thoughts. I am inclined to agree.

However, many people start a blog if they are going on a long holiday. Their friends can read about what they are doing without the person having to send a lot of individual letters/postcards/emails.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thank you very much, Teacher EMSR and Moderator 5jj. I think that I understand the difference a little better now: a blog is more personal than a website.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

I think that I understand the difference a little better now: a blog is more personal than a website.
    Usually

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Thank you very much, Teacher EMSR and Moderator 5jj. I think that I understand the difference a little better now: a blog is more personal than a website.
    That's normally the case, but you will also find that a commercial website might also have a blog. A friend of mine is a photographer - he has a website which has about 12 pages. One of those pages is his blog. The other pages give details of the company and what he does, the prices etc, but on the blog page he actually writes up the photoshoots he does. It's just one part of his website.

I have a blog which I started when I moved to Spain so that I could keep my family and friends updated on what I was doing etc without having to email them all individually. It meant I could perhaps commit to writing one entry a week, attach photos, take time writing it, editing it etc and then post it online. My friends and family received an automatic link to it but it's also public so people I've never met might stumble on it.