Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Latin
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Soon I will have finished all the McGuffey's readers for the second time. The 5th and the 6th books were the most difficult ones and my most difficult read ever. I would like to read / study the King James Bible now. I've been looking for an authorized and annotated version and this is my best found so far:

The Bible: Authorized King James Version (Oxford World's Classics)

Would you recommend this one as well? Do you have some advice for me before I even start reading?.
--

EDIT: Some people are saying that the book is difficult to handle, too thick and almost cube-like.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's certainly a very long book and the language can be extremely hard to decipher. My personal opinion is that there are thousands of other books you could read which would be much more useful for your language studies.

However, if you are a practicing Christian then it's probably only fair that you read the Bible from cover to cover at some point in your life. Now is as good a time as any, I suppose.

If not, I personally wouldn't recommend it and if you do read it, remember not to take it as a work of fact. Consider it a very long story, made up by lots of people over a long time and to be a well-read work of fiction. (Please note, I am not making some kind of religious statement here - I'm simply pointing out that works of fiction are read differently to factual books.)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It's certainly a very long book and the language can be extremely hard to decipher. My personal opinion is that there are thousands of other books you could read which would be much more useful for your language studies.
I agree. And if he has to read the Bible, why not one in plain English? Or better yet, Japanese. It's hardly a page-turner.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:-? Sex, murder, jealousy, betrayal, torture, thwarted ambition, unexpected turns of fortune... It's a bit long for me to want to read it from cover to cover, but parts of it do invite page-turning. ;-)

b

waflob

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Germany
:-? Sex, murder, jealousy, betrayal, torture, thwarted ambition, unexpected turns of fortune... It's a bit long for me to want to read it from cover to cover, but parts of it do invite page-turning. ;-)
That's not the bible - that's the history of the catholic church ;-)
(puts on flame-retardent clothing)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Let's be careful, please, not to turn this thread into what mightt be construe as criticism of any set of beliefs or believers. 'Ask a Teacher' is a forum for discussion of aspects of the English language.

waflob

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Germany
sorry - I can resist anything but temptation ....
(really no offense meant, hence the *wink* emote)

pizza

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Latin
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Actually, I am an atheist.

I realize it's pretty long but I would be reading everyday, so best case scenario it would take between 1 or 2 months depending on how hard it gets. Also remember that the McGuffey's readers go back to mid-19th century American literature and use plenty of "old" English and dated vocabulary, so reading the Bible is not much farther, in a way, I've been "preparing" for it.

Anyway, maybe you are right and I should read other material before I plunge into the enigmas of the Bible.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Actually, I am an atheist.

I realize it's pretty long but I would be reading everyday, so best case scenario it would take between 1 or 2 months depending on how hard it gets. Also remember that the McGuffey's readers go back to mid-19th century American literature and use plenty of "old" English and dated vocabulary, so reading the Bible is not much farther, in a way, I've been "preparing" for it.

Anyway, maybe you are right and I should read other material before I plunge into the enigmas of the Bible.
The Bible is actually an anthology of about 66 books. You could try reading one at a time. Genesis in the obvious place to start, not only because it's listed first, but also because of all the stories that come out of it, like the creation of the universe, the stories about Lot, Noah's Ark, etc. There are many books that you could quite easily skip without suffering much loss of understanding.

Last edited:

pizza

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Latin
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thanks @Raymott. I hadn't thought about it. [STRIKE]I think I am going to go for the Pocket Canon series[/STRIKE]. Exciting.

EDIT: I think I am not going for the Pocket Canon anymore, they are too many books and it would be way more expensive. I am looking for a KJV simple bible.

Do you have any edition / publisher suggestions?.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Status