Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi Teachers & Learners,
Which is the best book/article (or any that contains this stuff) to learn transformations and diagrams for this? I was searching google intensively but found only exercises with no theory.

Pls help me as soon as possible.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What exactly do you mean by 'transformation of a sentence'?

Wasow

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
What exactly do you mean by 'transformation of a sentence'?

What can be meant by that for an English teacher? :shock: Please state that you are not a bona fide teacher.
Surface structure, deep structure, Wh -movement, Alpha movement, VP movement, I-C movement, etc.
It is obvious from your question, 5jj, that you are blissfully unaware of these basic concepts in transformational grammar. How did you manage to become a teacher? Did you go to univ. before the 60's? did you ever go to univ. at all?

Which is the best book/article (or any that contains this stuff) to learn transformations and diagrams for this? I was searching google intensively but found only exercises with no theory.
This is a good starter for amateurs:
Andrew Radford: Transformational Grammar

5jj may want to read this too.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We try to avoid personal comments in this forum. :)

bester

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
We are just starting with this stuff at my university now, and it is about passive, subject rising and Egui - NP Deletion transformations.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
What can be meant by that for an English teacher? :shock: Please state that you are not a bona fide teacher.
Surface structure, deep structure, Wh -movement, Alpha movement, VP movement, I-C movement, etc.
It is obvious from your question, 5jj, that you are blissfully unaware of these basic concepts in transformational grammar. How did you manage to become a teacher? Did you go to univ. before the 60's? did you ever go to univ. at all?

This is a good starter for amateurs:
Andrew Radford: Transformational Grammar

5jj may want to read this too.
"Sentence Transformation" as a subject forms part of the studies for a student of English. However "transformation of a sentence" is open to different interpretations. A sentence can be transformed in various ways.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We are just starting with this stuff at my university now, and it is about passive, subject rising and Egui - NP Deletion transformations.
Does your university department not offer a reading list? It's usually better to go with their recommendations, because the books have been selected as being relevant to your course.

I can't think offhand of a good, modern introductory book; perhaps others may come up with suggestions. If you have specific questions, you can post them in the Linguistics forum. Somebody should be able to help.

ps. It's equi deletion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.