• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

"I" or "me"?

I have just read something written by one of the world's most famous writers. As a gentleman, I shall not give her name.

"They were advised that the Metropolitan Police had not found any information that concerned my husband or I in the data that ...."

This sentence is contained in official testimony given to a parliamentary committee that is investigating naughty behavior of some British newspapers.

How could she have made such a horrific mistake? (Especially since her books are devoured by young people!)

THANK YOU

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: "I" or "me"?

Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    I have just read something written by one of the world's most famous writers. As a gentleman, I shall not give her name.

"They were advised that the Metropolitan Police had not found any information that concerned my husband or I in the data that ...."

This sentence is contained in official testimony given to a parliamentary committee that is investigating naughty behavior of some British newspapers.

How could she have made such a horrific mistake? (Especially since her books are devoured by young people!)

THANK YOU
    People make mistakes when under stress. I should imagine that describing the unpleasant behaviour of the press towards her children, in front of an official judicial enquiry, would have been a fairly stressful experience.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thank you very much, Moderator Bhaisahab. That sentence, however, was not extemporaneous. It was part of a carefully written document that she apparently then read to the committee. As you so wisely said, we must be very understanding of her. (I am feeling much better now. When I first read it, I thought that I would have a heart attack. I guess it's a good lesson for learners such as I: even experts make mistakes.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Thank you very much, Moderator Bhaisahab. That sentence, however, was not extemporaneous. It was part of a carefully written document that she apparently then read to the committee. As you so wisely said, we must be very understanding of her. (I am feeling much better now. When I first read it, I thought that I would have a heart attack. I guess it's a good lesson for learners such as I: even experts make mistakes.)
    I've just watched the person in question's testimony on the BBC, while it seemed that she had written notes that she referred to from time to time, it didn't seem to me to be "a carefully written document that she apparently read to the committee".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

It's perhaps a case of hyper-correction. Many people have had 'me and my brother went to ..." corrected to 'My brother and I went to ...' so often that some begin to feel that '... and I' is the only possible thing to say/write all the time. As bhai mentioned, this writer might also have been under stress at the time.

There is also the point that popular writers are not necessarily sticklers for the finer points of grammar.

Finally, I would guess that at least half of the native speakers of BrE would not be aware of anything wrong with what she said. If it were pointed out to them, some would not care and others would simply feel that the person pointing it out was being rather silly.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I've just watched the person in question's testimony on the BBC, while it seemed that she had written notes that she referred to from time to time, it didn't seem to me to be "a carefully written document that she apparently read to the committee".

Thank you very much, Moderator Bhaisahab, for your comments. You are a true
    British gentleman. We must, indeed, give the lady the benefit of the doubt. If anyone is interested, she or he (I don't have the courage to simply say "he") can find the lady's testimony on the Guardian's website. (In the "Media" section.) When you read the statement, it is obvious that it was carefully prepared.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    others would simply feel that the person pointing it out was being rather silly.

Yes, Moderator 5jj, you are, as usual, correct.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Yes, Moderator 5jj, you are, as usual, correct.
    That 'silly' remark of mine was a general point, not directed particularly (- and I was saying what some other people might think!).

Personally, I cringe when I hear/see something like 'it concerned my husband and I'. As an observer of language, I accept that many people consider it unobjectionable these days.

As to the 'carefully prepared' statement - yes, it probably was. And no, they didn't notice the 'I'. You and I are getting past our 'best-by' date, Parser.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

JK Rowling should definitely have known better than that, Key Member TheParser.

Rover

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

We have the Cambridge Grammar of the English Language to thank for this particular piece of idiocy (among others), which endeavours to argue for the 'correctness' of between you and I and the like on the basis of a ludicrous analogy with abbreviations...
    Last edited by philo2009; 25-Nov-2011 at 07:13.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast