Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"10 Downing Street has ... become established as the official residence of the Prime Minister (in his or her capacity as First Lord of the Treasury)."

If we learners wish to avoid the politically correct "his or her," yet refrain from the politically incorrect "his," how could we rephrase this sentence?

THANK YOU

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Their is becoming increasingly accepted.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
in the latter's capacity

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
...official residence of the Prime Minister, who also serves as First Lord of the Treasury.

That avoids the structure completely.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much, Moderator 5jj and Teachers Bennevis and Emsr, for your very helpful suggestions.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
. . . and don't ask why Margaret Thatcher wasn't called the 'First Lady of the Treasury' if they're so keen on PC.

(Just call me 'Rover', Parser.)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
. . . and don't ask why Margaret Thatcher wasn't called the 'First Lady of the Treasury' if they're so keen on PC.
Perhaps we'd better ask her boss, one of whose official titles is Duke of Normandy.

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just call me 'Rover', Parser.

Thank you very much, Teacher Rover, for your comment regarding Lady Thatcher and your kind invitation to address you without a title. I was taught to show respect to my superiors and I am too old to change.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's the second time recently I've been forced to say "Goodness me" on this forum. I think I'll take a short break so I can retain my healthy sense of humour and sarcasm.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
=TheParser;826297

I was taught to show respect to my superiors and I am too old to change.
You are too modest, Parser, and none of us is too old to change.

I have been reading your replies to students' questions since I joined in June, 2010 and have always found them to be impeccably well-researched, well-expressed and profound.

In no way do I consider myself to be your superior just because I have been a teacher and you haven't.

I was going to send this in a private message, but decided to post it on the board to give other contributors the opportunity to hit the Like button.

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
@ TheParser. I agree with Rover.

I have pointed out on occasion that perhaps the views of your beloved Curme are not quite as relevant to today's English as you seem to think, but I have never doubted your genuine interest in, and real understanding of, English grammar. The number of 'likes' and thanks you receive from members is evidence of your real ability to explain clearly and helpfully some of the points that puzzle others.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I’d like to get back to go back to posts #6 and #8, but must start by saying that I am speaking for myself, not for Rover or anybody else. Although I understand TheParser’s reasons, I would prefer not to be addressed as ‘Moderator 5jj’.

One reason is that I feel that I answer questions simply as a person who has some knowledge of English grammar; many other people who respond in these threads also have some knowledge. Some of them are not teachers, some are not native speakers; some are neither, but their posts can be very helpful. Addressing me by my 'rank' appears (to me) to imply that my suggestions may have more value than those of others. In fact, my 'rank' gives my suggestions no value at all. We moderators are as capable of making silly mistakes (and please let's not mention typos) as the most recent member.

A ‘rank’ such as ‘Senior Member’ or ‘VIP Member’ is a bit of fun. It is ‘awarded’ solely on the number of posts we have submitted. The rather poor rhyming couplets and limericks I have posted in other sub-forums count as much as a possibly helpful mini-article on ways of expressing the future. The ‘rank’ of moderator means only that I do a bit of spam-removal and police potentially offensive posts; it says nothing about my abilities as a grammarian or teacher.

A second reason is that such forms of address as ‘Moderator Smith’ and ‘Teacher Jones’ are not natural in British English. The appropriate way to address people is far too complex to examine in detail in one post, or even one thread, but I give some (British) ideas below. Imagine that I am speaking to someone, and I say, “Thank you for your help, X’. X can represent:

Military/Police: Captain ( Grunce), Sergeant (Grunce), Inspector (Grunce), Chief [STRIKE]Grunce[/STRIKE].
Medical: Doctor (Grunce), Sister (Grunce), Matron [STRIKE]Grunce[/STRIKE], Nurse [STRIKE]Grunce[/STRIKE]
‘Leaders’: Mr President, President Grunce, [STRIKE]Mr[/STRIKE] Prime Minister [STRIKE]Grunce[/STRIKE], Minister [STRIKE]Grunce[/STRIKE]
Religion: Father (Grunce)/Father (Adrian), Sister (Mary), Rabbi Grunce
Education: Doctor Grunce, Professor (Grunce), [STRIKE]Lecturer Grunce[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]Teacher Grunce[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]Headteacher Grunce[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]Principal Grunce[/STRIKE], Headmaster (in some British public (= exclusive private) schools.
usingenglish.com: [STRIKE]Newbie[/STRIKE] Funny name-X, [STRIKE]Key Member[/STRIKE] even funniername*7^, [STRIKE]Moderator[/STRIKE] absurdname1.14159

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I feel comfortable only when I address people with a honorific. I have never been a first-name guy.
I have every sympathy with that. However, I feel that one of the points of having usernames in forums such as this, is that we are all free to choose the name by which we wish to be known/addressed. I felt very uncomfortable, many years ago, when my line manager decided that he was to be addressed as 'Jack' rather than 'Mr Sprat'. However, to disregard his wish/instruction would be more disrespectful, don't you think?
I feel that the teachers and moderators should be very tolerant of us learners' idiosyncrasies.
I agree - to a certain extent.
For example, here in California, many ESL teachers are very tolerant when their students address them as "Teacher" (many students come from countries in which that is the form of address).
Such tolerance is, I feel, doing the students a disservice.That form of address is not natural (in BrE, at least). I believe that it is the duty of the teacher to point this out to students.
I feel that anyone who is kind enough to answer my questions should be tolerant of my desire to show respect to them
I agree only if the manner of showing respect is natural in the English language community. If a learner curtseys to me when she addresses me, or addresses me as 'most respected sir, Mr Teacher', then I would be failing in my duty as a teacher if I did not inform her, tactfully of course, that that is not appropriate.
Of course, if someone is so offended by my idiosyncrasy that they (!) refuse to answer my questions, that is their (!) right and, of course, my loss.
I am not offended by the way anybody addresses me, if they (!) feel that it is appropriate. However, as a teacher, I have a duty to inform learners of appropriate modes of behavious/address in the UK and other English-speaking countries. As a person, I feel I have the right to decide how I wish to be addressed, though I have to accept that those set above me in the chain of command may disregard my feelings.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As a person, I feel I have the right to decide how I wish to be addressed

You are correct.

I shall not be posting any more questions and I shall not be referring to anyone

by name anymore.

You may wish to close this thread.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States