• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Ame and Brt.

I've been searching about the number of American and British speakers wild world since long time before. I know that the American is more used but would you please tell me a percent or a rough statistics about?
    One of my teachers told us that is near 4-1 the proportion of American and British speakers respectively.

ata

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Ame and Brt.

Quote Originally Posted by atabitaraf View Post
    I've been searching about the number of American and British speakers wild world since long time before. I know that the American is more used but would you please tell me a percent or a rough statistics about?
    One of my teachers told us that is near 4-1 the proportion of American and British speakers respectively.

ata
    The USA has a population of about 300 million and the UK has a population of about 60 million. That should give you some idea of the likely figures.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by atabitaraf View Post
    I've been searching about trying to find out the number of American and British speakers wild world worldwide since for a long time. before. I know that the American is more used but would you please tell me a percentage or a rough statistics about it?

One of my teachers told us that it is near about 4-1 the proportion of American and British speakers respectively.

ata
    Please see my amendments to your post in red.

Bhaisahab has given you a good place to start, with the populations of the USA and Britain.

I'm not sure what you mean by your question though. Do you want to know how many people speak AmE or BrE as their native language? Do you want to know how many people use AmE or BrE as their second language?

If you take the population of each country as your base, it still won't be accurate as many people who live in those countries don't speak English, or they speak it only as a second language. If it's their second language, it may be a combination of AmE and BrE (and Canadian and Australian etc).

If you heard someone with an indeterminate accent say "I fell on my fanny on the pavement" would you think they were American or British? Which language were they speaking? (In case that was confusing, "fanny" is a very AmE word for "bottom/buttocks" but "pavement" is very BrE.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

How about learners? How many percents of learners take American and how many British as their learning language?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

That would be difficult to say precisely. There is no way of knowing how many people are learning English at all. There are not even reliable figures on how many people speak English reasonably proficiently.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe

Talking Re: Ame and Brt.

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    If you heard someone with an indeterminate accent say "I fell on my fanny on the pavement" would you think they were American or British?
    I would think that a British lady suffered a weird and horrific accident. Being a helpful and caring gentleman guy, maybe I would even offer her some sort of first aid.

Joking aside, she may be a woman who were born (and educated) in the UK, but has lived in the States for a long time, or vice versa. Gillian Anderson , for example, was born in Chicago, but spent a lot of time in England.

With her English accent and background, Anderson was mocked and felt out of place in the American Midwest and soon adopted a Midwest accent. To this day, her accent depends on her location...
    Anyway, I would do my best to give Gillian Anderson all kind of "first aid" in that imaginary accident, no matter which of her body parts would be involved.