Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I rewrote a notice because I thought it was too simple and did not include necessary information to make readers know about the news. But I am not sure whether the changes in red are proper or not, and whether the changes are natural and acceptable to native speakers. Could you help me check? Thank you!
Volunteers Needed
January 9, 2012
Because there will be an international conference on globalization to be held in Beijing on May 16, 2012, volunteers are being recruited by the Postgraduates’ Association. Any graduate student interested in participating the activity could come to our office on the fifth floor of the College Office Building before March. 1, 2012.
Postgraduate Association
Volunteers Needed
January 9, 2012
There will be an international conference on globalization to be scheduled for May 16, 2012 at Yifu Conference Center of Beijing University. Volunteers are being recruited to greet and attend to guests from 8:00 to 17:00 that day with 1 hour break at noon by the Postgraduates’ Assocation. Any postgraduate student interested in participating in the activity could come to our office to put down your name on the fifth floor of the College Office Building before March. 1, 2012.
Postgraduate Association

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I rewrote a notice because I thought it was too simple and did not include necessary information to make readers know about the news. But I am not sure whether the changes in red are proper or not, and whether the changes are natural and acceptable to native speakers. Could you help me check? Thank you!

Volunteers Needed

January 9, 2012
[STRIKE]Because there will be [/STRIKE] An international conference on globalization [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] will be held in Beijing on May 16, 2012., Volunteers are being recruited by the Postgraduates’ Association to greet and attend to guests from 8:00 to 17:00 . Any graduate student interested in participating in the activity [STRIKE]could[/STRIKE] should come to our office to register for the activity on the fifth floor of the College Office Building before March. 1, 2012.
Postgraduate Association

Volunteers Needed

January 9, 2012

There will be an international conference on globalization to be scheduled for May 16, 2012 at Yifu Conference Center of Beijing University. Volunteers are being recruited to greet and attend to guests from 8:00 to 17:00 that day with 1 hour break at noonby the Postgraduates’ Assocation. Any postgraduate student interested in participating in the activity could come to our office to put down your name on the fifth floor of the College Office Building before March. 1, 2012.
Postgraduate Association

I prefer the first version with changes indicated.

ziawj2

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I prefer the first version with changes indicat

Thank you for your check!

Do I need to replace the expression "any graduate student" with "any postgraduate student" to make it consistent?

And the signature part "Postgraduate Association" is replaced by "Postgraduates' Association" for the same reason.

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your check!

Do I need to replace the expression "any graduate student" with "any postgraduate student" to make it consistent? I don't think it's necessary. And, in fact, I don't think "s" apostrophe (Postgraduates') is necessary either unless the association always uses that form.

And the signature part "Postgraduate Association" is replaced by "Postgraduates' Association" for the same reason. See above.[/QUOTE]
b.

Status
Not open for further replies.