Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 449
    #1

    Question Question in writing: Generalization.

    Hello,


    My question is about generalization in a paragraph or in an essay.


    For example:

    The bus is one of the most crowded places where you cannot even find a place to put your foot and sniff a fresh air.


    Challenge is what makes you alive and ablaze with the excitement and the determination to fulfill your plans regardless of the constraints of life.
    It is when you put your targets in front of you, when you are engrossed and obsessed with your beliefs.




    My teacher underlined all the words which are in red, but I think that when we talk in general or about some topics, we cannot avoid generalization. So, if I write in that way, will my paragraph or essay be wrong?




    Would you please tell me what you think?



    Regards,
    Last edited by symaa; 26-Nov-2011 at 15:41. Reason: Correcting a typos

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: Question in writing: Generalization.

    Quote Originally Posted by symaa View Post
    The bus is one of the most crowded places where you cannot even find a place to put your foot and sniff a fresh air.

    Challenge is what makes you alive and ablaze with the excitement and the determination to fulfill your plans regardless of the constraints of life.
    It is when you put your targets in front of you, when you are engrossed in and obsessed with your beliefs.
    Your version (with my two amendments) is fine in speech and all but more formal writing. Your teacher perhaps expects you to write "people ... their... them.., .etc", or even "one ... one's ..., etc".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 449
    #3

    Re: Question in writing: Generalization.

    Thank you teacher for your answer and for the correction.

    Yes, she told me that I should use ''one'' or ''person''..., but for instant when we use ''one'' or ''people''....we'll be obliged to use her/his instead of you which may spoil my writing .


    Challenge is what makes the person alive and ablaze with the excitement and the determination to fulfill his/her plans regardless of the constraints of life.
    It is when he/she puts his/her targets in front of him/her, when he/she is engrossed in and obsessed with his/her beliefs.



    Thank you.

    Best wishes,

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #4

    Re: Question in writing: Generalization.

    Quote Originally Posted by symaa View Post
    Thank you teacher for your answer and for the correction.

    Yes, she told me that I should use ''one'' or ''person''..., but for instant when we use ''one'' or ''people''....we'll be obliged to use her/his instead of you which may spoil my writing .


    Challenge is what makes the person alive and ablaze with the excitement and the determination to fulfill his/her plans regardless of the constraints of life.
    It is when he/she puts his/her targets in front of him/her, when he/she is engrossed in and obsessed with his/her beliefs.



    Thank you.

    Best wishes,
    "One" works OK.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 449
    #5

    Re: Question in writing: Generalization.

    Thank you teacher.

    So, even If I use one, I should repeat his/her all the time
    Regards,

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: Question in writing: Generalization.

    Quote Originally Posted by symaa View Post
    So, even If I use one, I should repeat his/her all the time.
    In British English we use one, one's, oneself.

    The bus is one of the most crowded places where one cannot even find a place to put one's foot and sniff
    a fresh air.

    Challenge is what makes one alive and ablaze with the excitement and the determination to fulfill one's plans regardless of the constraints of life.
    It is when one puts one's targets in front of one, when one
    are is engrossed and obsessed with one's beliefs.

  4. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #7

    Re: Question in writing: Generalization.

    Plural works too.

    Challenge is what makes people alive and ablaze with the excitement and the determination to fulfill their plans regardless of the constraints of life.
    It is when people put their targets in front of them, when they are
    engrossed and obsessed with their beliefs.

    The same teacher who objects to "you" would probably object to the very commonly accepted use of the "their" as a gender-neutral singular pronoun.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 449
    #8

    Re: Question in writing: Generalization.

    Thank you so much to all of you for your answers, I highly appreciate them.
    Really, it's very kind of you to share your valuable knowledge.

    So,the use of one, one's, oneself, people is more formal.

    All the best,

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,103
    #9

    Re: Question in writing: Generalization.

    Quote Originally Posted by symaa View Post
    Thank you so much to all of you for your answers, I highly appreciate them.
    Really, it's very kind of you to share your valuable knowledge.

    So,the use of one, one's, oneself, people is more formal.

    All the best,
    The use of "one" is usually quite formal. Most of us would not use it in speech. Most of us would not even use it here on the forum, though I have on rare occasions. One has to be sparing in one's use of it.

    "People" is not formal at all. "People shouldn't do things like that."; "People should think more before they act." - It's normal.

  6. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #10

    Re: Question in writing: Generalization.

    You (and I mean "you" not "people in general") also need to consider the audience and the purpose of the piece. For example, if this is a scholarly essay, then de-personalizing it is a good thing. However, if it's a piece that's supposed to encourage your audience to "embrace challenges" and "rise to the occassion" then you can even consider changing the pronoun to "we" to be inclusive. It sends the message "You and I - we both feel this way."

    Just like words without context mean nothing, sentences without a purpose are lifeless. So consider the goal and the audience before deciding that "you" is bad, "one" is good, etc.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Arbitary use of THE for generalization?
    By post in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Nov-2011, 17:29
  2. plural or generalization?
    By keannu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19-Oct-2011, 03:12
  3. Make generalization
    By arzgol in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Aug-2011, 00:56
  4. interlanguage generalization
    By gugui in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Sep-2009, 05:54
  5. Generalization
    By gorikaz in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2006, 06:05

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •