Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
what should be the very first lesson plan for esl beginning students? I have never done this and i am finding it difficult to think of how to start the very first class. I am doing this for a group of friends and i really want to do a good job. I am hispanic but was born and raised in L.A. and never had esl. So my question is what should be the very first lesson plan? thank you for your time :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There are different approaches and possibilities- some start by teaching some easy vocab, others by teaching classroom vocab, doing introductions, etc. Many places will have their own approach- where are you going to be teaching?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Your question is almost impossible to answer without knowing something about your students, and about you. How much, if any, knowledge of English do they have already? Are they doing this as seriously as if they were paying a lot of money for a course, or is it just a bit of fun? Have you ever taught anything before? Do they/you want to use a course book?

Even if you were to give detailed answers to those questions, it would still be difficult for us to answer.

I would suggest - and it's only an idea - that you spend your first session discussing with them them what they hope to get out of the course. Your approach will vary, depending on whether they want to take a recognised test (TOEFL, for example), get on in their jobs, just converse with English-speaking friends, etc.

morenamontenegro

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you both on your replies it has been helpful i will converse with them. I know they just want the basic english in a way for them to speak it in a job oriented manner. They are paying and i suppose if they are paying they are going to take it seriously therefore I am too. I am going to be teaching in a home for 2 hrs or less a day these people work very hard and are usually tired by the end of the day. I want to do something easy and fun to keep thier attention. So vocabulary would be the first thing to start with?

Status
Not open for further replies.