Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It seems, population analysts have suddenly started to question the self- evident truth that we are destined eventually to drown under our own weight.
More to the point, statisticians predict that after 2050 the number of human will go down.
Will you please tell me the meaning of the underlined part?
Thanks

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems, population analysts have suddenly started to question the self- evident truth that we are destined eventually to drown under our own weight.
More to the point, statisticians predict that after 2050 the number of human will go down.
Will you please tell me the meaning of the underlined part?
Thanks

NOT A TEACHER

(1) If a person is reallly, really, really overweight and he goes into the ocean for a swim, he might (in theory) drown because he is so overweight. Well, many people have been saying that we now have 7,000,000,000 human beings on this earth and if we keep growing, we will (in a sense) drown under our own weight. That is, with more and more human beings, where will we get the food to feed them? The water for them to drink? And (which is really important) the jobs for them so that they can earn the money to buy food and pay rent? And what happens when the petroleum runs out? How will we fuel our cars (if electric cars are not successful)?
\
(2) But what is more relevant and realistic to this discussion ("More to the point or idea of this discussion"), the experts tell us that in fact the number of human beings will decrease after 2050. I do not know the reasons for their prediction. I have read, however, that in some countries the more educated the women become the fewer children they have. I have also read that some countries (of course, I shall not name them) actually have decreasing populations at this moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.